Pickering salmon report and pictures - Canada

Muskyfanatic

My mate Mike and I got out over the weekend and finally found some fish. The fishing is still a little sketchy out this way right now but if you stick at it and cover water you'll very likely hook up.

Saturday we hooked 6 fish and boated 5, Sunday we hooked 10 and boated 6 and Monday we hooked 6 and boated 4. The largest fish all weekend weighed in at just over 20lbs (Pictures of a couple of our fish below).

I have just started playing around with the mooching rods and reels. What a blast it is fighting fish on these set ups, I am actually convinced that with the longer rods and 1 to 1 ratio on the reels that you lose less fish, which is good for me :clapping:

The fish seem to be scattered right now, we found water temps of between 41F to 42F were most productive. These we found down 50ft over 200ft to 250ft of water. A temp sensor can really help this time of year to help locate those cooler pockets of water.

Baits of choice this weekend were cut bait fished behind the new Smart Fish Flashers and silver flies fish behind Smart Fish. Smart Fish have an amazing roll action, and by far the best feature is that unlike the Spin Doctors they have an adjustable fin (Picture below). The adjustable fin allows you to tighten or widen the roll of the flasher to suit your fishing conditions B)

We found the ideal trolling speeds this weekend were between 2.3 to 2.7 mph on the GPS. Don't be surprised if you pick up a few Rainbows when fishing these depths, we even managed a couple of nice Coho over the course of the weekend B)

The Kings should start moving in thicker soon, the winds have stabalized somewhat along with the air temps. I'm looking forward to a great summer on the big pond and hope to see some of you out there.

Cheers, Shaun

Salmon_-_June_07.jpg

Salmon_-_June_07_-_2.jpg

Salmon_-_June_07_-_3.jpg

Salmon_-_June_07_-_4.jpg

Salmon_-_June_07_-_5.jpg

Smart_Fish.jpg

Sounds like some decent fishing.

mooching rods and reels - no idea what those might be. Explain?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President