How to catch fish on a canal?

billyspleen

Hi,

I haven't fished on canals for a while but I think small baits like squats/pinkies and possibly ground bait for loose feed with single maggot fished over the top. You probably want to fish close to the edge because that is were the ledges are and boats wash water/feed into these areas so fishing close to the opposite bank while occasionally feeding and casting to the margins close to you would be best.

Hope this helps or I hope someone with more experience gives a better answer :-)

Errrm

No problem Billy, if you want to know the depth then use a plummet, simple as that, fix up a waggler and attach a plummet onto your hook, go ahead and guess the depth to start, cast out and if the float dives right under then raise the float up till it's just showing the tip or lower it down if it's shallower as well.

As for how to catch, well I would feed the so called inside line called the shelf which is from your feet right out to perhaps twenty feet or so, again use the plummet to get a picture of the canal ahspe in your head, that will help a lot.

Feed the inside line like I suggested using some fine cloud type groundbait, something to attract fish and not too heavy, you could try a pole if you have one or a small waggler with pinkies or squats. You could catch Gudgeon, Roach, Perch or Carp on the inside line.

Try the beggining of the main boat channel, just after the shelf as it drops away, again a good spot or if possible cast right to the far side if you have a feature that could be a fish holding area like an overhanging tree or bush, the far side can be a notorious place for the better fish to hang out.

Good luck mate.