tie a hair rig

jace1acc

Guest Rabbit

Jace how I do it...make loop at one end of your hook length, my loop is about 1/4''long, it can be bigger. trim the surplus end. now place the loop on the shank of the hook pointing away from the eye. the length of the hair you set now is fairly critical and is a matter of choice. if you are hair rigging meat a longer 'tail' will be needed, if pellet or boilie i normally leave a 3/4' tail, including the length of loop. when you have positioned your boilie or pellet on the hair i like to have about 1/4'' or so free from the bend of the hook . however you will need to experiment with this bit to suit your presentation.

Now the last bits... whip the line around the shank of the hook whilst holding the hair in place, about 8 turns should do it, finall put the end of the line through the eye of hook, moisten the knot with spit and pull tight. I don't use glue on my knot but some do, never had a knotless not fail me so far

best of luck :thumbs:

Hi All

a friend taught me how to tie a spade hook the other day ...... but i was wondering how you do a hair rig yourself.... or is it better to just buy them already done?

rgds Jace

I find that the knotless knot is the easiest way of tieing a hair rig.You can buy them quite cheaply but it's much more satisfying doing them yourself,just takes a little practice.

Click here

:thumbs:

Guest tigger
Hi All

a friend taught me how to tie a spade hook the other day ...... but i was wondering how you do a hair rig yourself.... or is it better to just buy them already done?

rgds Jace

I tie them myself but looking at the price of some of them on ebay it may be cheaper to buy them from there already tied. Seems you can buy them made up including post for the price you can buy your hooks.

The knotless knot is as easy as Richard says but be careful which way, clockwise or anticlockwise, you whip the knot on the shank. On most hooks there is a gap between the end of the eye and the shank of the hook; you have to make sure that you don't wrap line tight at this gap.

In step 3, feed the hooklength through from the back of the hook. Then, when you start the whipping in step 4, make sure that the first bend in the line is round the solid bit where the shank bends into the eye.

After the last turn of the whipping, feed the hooklength through from the back of the eye as in step 5.

Pete

Edited by Pete Elleray