Bristol channel Fishing

Turbo

I don't know the area, but if you have a GPS and drift the bay when there is no wind you will have an idea of the tidal flow. Does the admiralty chart show the current speed for neap tides too? My chart software shows daily tidal current speeds but not for your area. I wouldn't consider anchoring in stronger currents without a quick release anchor which you can paddle back to once the current has eased - there are a few marks local to me I want to fish this summer but I'm probably going to have to wait for the neap tides to come around again (hope the weather stays the same). Stronger current means more lead and heavier gear if you want to hold bottom.

Thanks for your comments SpeciMan. The neaps show a max tide of 2.2 knots on my paper chart .

However as I'm a novice, and currently fishing from a frenzy a tide 2.2 (+ wind ) may be too challenging ! ( fished off Falmouths beaches the last two weeks -trying to get back in through the squally offshore winds was at times a struggle - must purchase more efficient kayak)

Hi BL - I agree, best to hold off for a while till you get that efficient kayak. In my old Caper I'd find it hard work paddling against a 2.2 knot tide and that's before swell and wind came into play. I think that using short kayaks like these in the sea are suited for very close inshore work - conditions can & do change and paddling against a low force 4 (frequent wind speed in my area but not this week!) can really hamper progress.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hello , Have just returned from the B/H weekend which we spent in perranporth. We fished Marazion, the area around St Michaels mount, and had some great sport on spinning rods with feathers. Our catch consisted of dozens of mackerel !! a single scad, a single gurnard and a dozen or so pollack to about two pounds !! We flattened down the barbs on our feathers so all the fish were retuned quickly, all but one swimming off strongly. A stiff offshore wind made it an intersting paddle back, but was not too bad. What was noticeable was the way the wind caught our kayaks ! If you became too focused on the fishing it would not take long before you had a long paddle to start the next drift.

Les do you fish the Avon ? Would,nt mind giving it a try one Sunday ?

Will try upload some photos when I have time, Cheers Martin.

Hello , Have just returned from the B/H weekend which we spent in perranporth. We fished Marazion, the area around St Michaels mount, and had some great sport on spinning rods with feathers. Our catch consisted of dozens of mackerel !! a single scad, a single gurnard and a dozen or so pollack to about two pounds !! We flattened down the barbs on our feathers so all the fish were retuned quickly, all but one swimming off strongly. A stiff offshore wind made it an intersting paddle back, but was not too bad. What was noticeable was the way the wind caught our kayaks ! If you became too focused on the fishing it would not take long before you had a long paddle to start the next drift.

Les do you fish the Avon ? Would,nt mind giving it a try one Sunday ?

Will try upload some photos when I have time, Cheers Martin.

Turbo / Martin - Ive fished the Avon a lot in the past - only from the bank though - Ive had tench (7lb+) Bream (10+lb) Barbel (10lb+) good chub and plenty of pike ( to mid doubles). I'm not trying to brag, just indicating whats available - I,m aware of much bigger specimens caught by better anglers than me )

Ive been inspired by Mark's (Crame) Pike Kayak exploits. So I am currently in correspondence with the local angling club to try and gain permission to kayak fish the lower avon. When this has been sorted ( and ive had a trial run ) come on down ! - PS I cannot PM anyone yet so I'll add a note to this thread when permission to fish obtained.