My ground bait

Vitalin dogfood

Hemp

Attractant

Trout pellets (3mm)

Small halibult pellets (3mm)

Sweetcorn

Swim stim (Betaine green)

Heres what I have found when working the method, the key is attraction if you give the carp to much in the way of freebies then they will fill up and then your hookbait will be left. Carp are not stupid. I use a piece of maize and a piece of plastic corn as my hook bait on a hair rig. I match my hook bait to one of the freebies i am using, sweetcorn/maize is always good as carp love it and its very visible.

You can either hide your hook bait in the ball or have it hanging out, i generally hide it in the bait ball as i have found the carp where i fish prefer that, you may find that the ones you are fishing do not, trial and error, the same goes for the hook length try a short on if that does not work try a longer one again trial and error.

Like Rob has said try and locate the fish before you start and then set up accordingly.

Now not knowing what lake you are fishing and how the fish are feeding at the moment i would not go crazy on the groundbait, it is easier to add more bait, once you have over baited you can kill your swim.( i have done this) I normally throw in 3-4 balls of groundbait ( i do not make them any bigger than a tennis ball) in the spot i want to fish then cast me method over the top, i then recast every half an hour check the hook bait and send it out again.

Now what you want to happen is for the fish to move in to your swim and start to feed, you will know when this happens as you will get loads of liners, this is when you need to sit on your hands. Do not be tempted to strike, only strike when the fish starts to take from the reel ie a run.

Heres the trickly part knowing when to recast, what i find is that once i start getting action it sort of cycles on and off for a period of time, what i try to do is recast when it goes quiet so that my bait is ready the next time the carp return to the bait ball. Obviously if you get a bite then recast. If you find that you are getting a lot of action ie liners and bites it always worth keeping the bait going in, you may want to throw in a couple of small tennis ball sized balls every hour or so, but this depends on what the fish are doing.

If you have had no luck catching after a couple of hrs try a different hook bait if the corn is not working try pellet or boillie.

Thats about it really, it may be that everything I have told you will not work, as the fish may not be interested in what you are offering,it often happens. The above info works on the lake i fish not always but generally i will catch some thing, but then again i have been fishing it for 2 years and I have got to know that lake and the fish that are in it.

Hope this helps

STC :thumbs::thumbs:

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

cheers for the info STC, i appreciate it... im off to stamford on monday to visit family, and im going to give wing fishing lakes , i shall get those stuff you suggested and give it ago, but ive also heard that they dont allow you to use groundbait or boilies...

if that is the case and you arent allowed groundbait or boilies, does that generally mean the stocks of fish are good?, they did say they are good and on average you'll catch a 15lb carp every time your there ...

PB Mirror Carp: 10lb 7oz

PB Common Carp: 7lb 7oz