Kimmeridge 24/08/07

overrun

On the slip for 10:30, had conversation with a guy called Steve, he was familiar with AnglersAfloat and knew SM. We chatted for a while before he headed off in a fully loaded rib, looked like two families aboard and 3 Yaks strapped on the side. Launched 11:00, sea flat, slight NE breeze, water gin clear. The plan was to paddle/drift with the slowly rising tide towards Worbarrow, either fish the reef or the Black Hawk wreck, hoping for Bream or possibly Triggers.

Took a well offshore track, 60ft of water most of the time. Stopped off along the way at various pot buoys, a few missed bites on the float and some odd tugs on the ledger rig. Arrived at the reef, could see what looked like a 2 man orange Kayak on the Black Hawk, so headed on. A few yards further and realised that is was probably a small inflatable, could make out 3 figures. A dive boat, thought about giving it a miss as didn’t want to interfere with their sport but then noticed they seemed to be underway. The small inflatable wizzed past, and I pressed on to the wreck.

Clearly, finding a wreck, even with a GPS is not a trivial task, there were no buoys as are sometimes found at popular dive sites. Glanced back and forth between GPS and depth sounder, went right past, turned about, went directly over, slung the anchor out, but it dragged. Wound back in and spent a good 15 minutes traversing back and forth trying to get a good position. Finally, got reasonably close and the anchor held, according to the GPS was right on top, but nothing on the sounder. The first drop and a typical Bream bite, struck, was solid in the bottom. Sent another rig down, no bites, after a few minutes wound in, and a Mackerel just under the Yak grabbed the Rag. Meanwhile the float had gone too. Switched to Macky fishing, one at a time on a Dexter wedge, virtually every cast, final tally 9 in the boat and 10+ returned using the approved method, no touching (dropped or fell off). The ledger rod was nodding and this little LSD was the cause, amazingly, a first for this year.

P8240114.jpg

Steve motored-up, been to Lulworth, caught a Pollock, think they were heading back as the weather was rather overcast. Hauled the anchor and paddled off to investigate the fishing at the Tout. Arrived to find a surprisingly brisk current and confused seas, thought better of anchoring and landed at Pondfield for lunch. Back on the water, stuck my favourite big plug on and began trolling back to Brandy Bay. The Air Sea rescue Helicopter roared low over-head and into Brandy Bay, was so low that could see dust blown from the shore in a big cloud, as they hovered over something.

The plug was nailed just past Wagon Rock, nice Bass just over 40cm about 3lb, great fight on a light spinning rod and mini multiplier.

P8240115.jpg

Spied a strange object on the beach, landed to investigate. This was probably what the Helicopter was so interested in.

P8240118.jpg

P8240119.jpg

A wrecked Bic, Oh goody! was tempted to have a paddle, unfortunately, no one was about to record the event. Should you feel the urge, it’s back there on the beach.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Clearly, finding a wreck, even with a GPS is not a trivial task

P8240119.jpg

but in this case it was easy :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

R.I.P. Bic :bleh:

BTW great report! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great report overrun. That's some way you paddled. I love that area but it's tough fishing when the water vis is crystal clear and bright sun.

JRT

Thanks JRT. 6 miles, which for me was unthinkable 9 months ago. Took my time with an eye on the wind and using the tides, so very easy, could have done about the same again under identical conditions. The worst bit is when you realise how far it is to go back, thoughts of is the wind going to get-up etc. etc. :headhurt:

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20