Lechlade

Ian FG

Thanks very much for the fast reply Steve.

Actually I was once a member of SCAC and I am now back living in this area, so I may consider joining again. I see on their website that they no longer have the fishing rights for Bradley's pit which is a shame.

I had a look on their website and although they say have a stretch of the Thames they don't mention where it starts or where it finishes, or which bank. You don't happen to know do you?

I guess I could always call into Cotswold Angling in Swindon and ask.

I'm sure there must be free stretches around the town, I guess I need to ask in the tackle shop.

Thanks again,

Ian

Guest Rabbit

Ian

Buscot is 'free' or used to be, the water is adjacent to the car park and is owned by the NT. I have had in the past some nice pike on lures. Lechlade by the town bridge used to be day ticket, and can be bought from the riverside tackle shop.

I remember fishing the Thames on the Cerney ticket some years ago, and their stretch had a big weir, might be worth considering. but you probably know that the gravel pits hold some good pike.

Bet your glad to be back :thumbs: I still long for those 'halcyon' tench filled summer days I enjoyed in the '80's

Edited by Rabbit

Rabbit,

Thanks for the reply. I am not much interested in Buscot, if I remember it is a weir pool and I'm not keen on static lure fishing. I prefer to travel light when lure fishing, cast and move, that kind of thing. I like to walk a mile or two seeking out the fish.

The gravel pits they used to have were huge and I could walk a good way but it seems they have lost access to Bradley's pit (140 acres) which would curtail that a bit. They still have Hill's pit, equally big, but only from one bank.

I am glad to be back, but I miss the Warwickshire Avon.

Not sure what this bit means mate: "I still long for those 'halcyon' tench filled sbuscot Fishingummer days"

But thanks again,

Ian

edit: I think the riverside tackle shop is now a pub, if you mean the place that used to hire boats run by a dysfunctional family, bloody boats were deathtraps :)

Edited by Ian FG

Guest Rabbit
Rabbit,

Thanks for the reply. I am not much interested in Buscot, if I remember it is a weir pool and I'm not keen on static lure fishing. I prefer to travel light when lure fishing, cast and move, that kind of thing. I like to walk a mile or two seeking out the fish.

The gravel pits they used to have were huge and I could walk a good way but it seems they have lost access to Bradley's pit (140 acres) which would curtail that a bit. They still have Hill's pit, equally big, but only from one bank.

I am glad to be back, but I miss the Warwickshire Avon.

Not sure what this bit means mate: "I still long for those 'halcyon' tench filled sbuscot Fishingummer days"

But thanks again,

Ian

edit: I think the riverside tackle shop is now a pub, if you mean the place that used to hire boats run by a dysfunctional family, bloody boats were deathtraps :)

Ian ....what about that drug induced Halcyon Days thing? the broken server must have added some secret code to keep us all in line ....very odd :o

Shame about Bradleys, really was a big old pit that held un-caught monsters...but it's still there, and a day ticket can be purchased from the Waterside' b""""d development folk I think.

Didn't know the 'dysfunctional' family had sold up guess thats progress I suppose...and Buscot car park swim is now a weir, crikey things have changed.

Well at least you are back and can now enjoy a nice pint while blanking on Ham Pool :drunk:

Its my third season on the W. Avon, and its a fine river, anytime you fancy a trip up this way let me know :thumbs:

I had a look on their website and although they say have a stretch of the Thames they don't mention where it starts or where it finishes, or which bank. You don't happen to know do you?

No problem. I've marked where I normally park with an X, with an arrow indicating the direction you can fish. It goes almost all of the way to the next weir, where another club takes over. It's possible that they also have some fishing on the other side of the X, I've never been that way. It looks good for pike, I only really fish it for chub.

post-6391-1191401177_thumb.jpg

They also have some fishing on the Thames just downstream of Cricklade; park up near the rugby field and walk downstream. It's free fishing down to the A419 bridge, then Swindon Golden Carp, then you cross over the bridge and it's South Cerney all the way to the next bridge. Lots of pike in that stretch, but none that I've seen of any size.

Rabbit,

Thanks for the kind offer of meet up on the Avon, I may just take you up on that next summer, I am a bit of a novice at river feeder fishing but I really enjoy it, it's pretty much non-stop action even if a lot of fish are on the small side, but such a variety of species. I know bugger all about stick float fishing. I had some great days at Ham pool, the secret is to only fish at dawn and dusk, that is essential, hard on the bottom for tench, very light tackle and just an inch off the bottom for roach. I once saw a guy catch a 3.5lb perch there and I myself hooked and lost the biggest pike I have ever seen on an ABU spoon. This was before they built that 'peninsula'.

Steve,

Thanks very much for taking the time to create that picture, I will go and have a look. My son lives in Cricklade so I'll have a look there too. Small pike on light tackle is OK by me. Not sure about crossing the A419, maybe at 3AM on a Sunday morning if you're really quick :)

Small pike on light tackle is OK by me.

You should also consider the rest of the free fishing around Cricklade then, I've had loads of small pike, perch and chub on spinners from the section immediately upstream of Cricklade.

Not sure about crossing the A419, maybe at 3AM on a Sunday morning if you're really quick :)

:lol:

Nah, you go under the flyover. Always loads of fish to be seen under there, incidentally, and last time I was there there were perch chasing fry.