West Wales Bassing

Martin Hurst

Travelled over to Newquay yesterday. Up at 5am after a sleepless night with the nipper arriving at Niftys Caravan just in time for a bottomless brew and a very Welcome cooked breakfast. GB arrived 20 mins later and after yet more tea and breccie we made a move down to the harbour for launch at around 10. As soon as we cleared the moorings we were met with 2 Dolphins harrying fish , throwing them out of the water at times and intercepting them like an english fullback(!!). They stayed in the bay for most of the day putting in sporadic appearances ;D

we started plugging the reef , Gareth soon collaring a Pollack and Nifty a small bass on his Rapalla. A couple of hours passed with no reward before Nifty got on the phone. He'd gone in about 2o yards offshore in only 4 foot of water and immediately collared a bass. 1o minutes later he had another over 6lbs. Myself and gar joined him but alas the fish had spooked , so we landed for lunch.

dinner.jpg

This is where the Trident really comes into its own , for Gareths lunch , but additional space is required for his tackle ;)

A 2 mile paddle North towards and passed the fish factory brough us to some all but innaccesible coastline , and by drifting and casting nifty hit another Bass arounf the 2lb mark. I moved 200yards to the right and hit a purple spell with two fish around 3.5lb and three 2lbs'ers all in 20 minutes. All released bar one which is Sunday dinner

bass1.jpg

bass2.jpg

nifty continued around the corner whilst myself and Gareth landed for a coffee and the final minutes on the radio of the English hammering of the convicts :)

Launching again we nipped out a few hundred yards and caught some joeys for livebait , but Mr Bass still refused to play ball.

garandnift.jpg

As the sun started to set we headed back to the first mark of the day , nifty and Gar steaming on as I trolled the J9 for a few Mackeral for supper. Landing at 8pm it was a long but very enjoyable day :D :D

Ok Prowler 13

It sounds it!

I blanked on the other hand--but still had an incredible day :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph