Perfect Chub

Wolfie10

I landed a chub last time i whent fishing :clap2: , and have grown to love the species,

What is the best rig for pole or rod and weel fishing???

As i would love to catch one!! :clap:

Please give me some A's!

Wolfie10 :wallbash:

!You Were Wild Once Dont Let Them Tame You!

It depends on the water you are fishing,

For example on parts of the Grand Union Canal the chub tend to hug the far bank and Ive had days where if I cast my bait more than 8-10 inches away from the bank; chub bites ceased, but if you fish closer then you got chub after chub.

for this fishing I use a 'canal grey' float and a longish float rod or occasionaly I may use a small leger rod..

I no longer own a long pole but if I did I would also use this on the canal (If it reached close enough to the far bank)

On small shallow rivers like the upper Lea (featured in this weeks Anglers Mail) I either trot for them using a centrepin or leger for them.

The chub here seem to hover an inch or two above the bottom looking for food being washed downstream; rather than searching the bottom; like they do sometimes on slower deeper rivers. In this case I use a 1/4 oz flat leger with an 18 to 24 inch hooklength about 5 to 10 inches above the lead (or small feeder), which allows the bait to hover above the bottom and the bottom weed.

Or I might find a sharp bend in the river and fish in the deeper water on the outside of the bend where there is sometmes an undercut bank. This is also where you can normally find some Barbel on this river.

I havent fished our Great Ouse fisheries for chub yet so I can't give any tips on that river other than look for the usual things that attract the chub like floating weed rafts, bends, overhead bushes, and creases in the water where the fish can dart out into the faster water and grab food then dart back into the slower water to wait for something else to wash by.

Baits (Depending on methods used): Peeled Prawns, Garden slugs, Spicey Luncheonmeat, Bread Flake or Red Maggots.

The Tackle that I would need to fish for the chub in my waters would be: 1. a nice 13 to 14 ft float rod and some Canal Greys, 2. A john wilson Avon/Quiver, 3. a reliable fixed spool reel (and If pushed a Centrepin reel) and some small balsas and some stick floats, plus a couple of small feeders and a few 1/4 and 1/2 oz flat leads.

These methods work on the waters I fish but may not be so deadly on other waters; so you need to experiment on your waters until you find out what turns your chub on.

So good luck with you chubbing Wolfie, and tight lines

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Baits (Depending on methods used): Peeled Prawns, Garden slugs, Spicey Luncheonmeat, Bread Flake or Red Maggots.

The trusty old Lobworm is always worth a try as is some cheese paste made out of the smelliest cheese you can find (danish blue) or similar is usually the best.

But as BoldBear says rigs are very specific to the type of water you're fishing, but they certainly shouldn't be complicated.

Good luck

SteveMerlin

On a medium to fast swim river in winter try feeder fishing with a strong cheesy bait. Ive found this really fires the chub into action and the take is really strong. You need to connect quickly though. When the river is coloured this works a treat. In clear water I have fed chub on corn and had them totally engrossed in it to a point where I had six chub to 4lb plus head down feeding with their tails popping ou of the surface. I was casting (single shot and corn) into them and getting some fine results. After catcing 4 fish of reputable size they then moved off but only after they had hoovered up every bit of corn.

Oh and the absolutely love slugs!

When we used to fish the river Kennet in the winter we had some really good chub on strong flavoured cheese paste mixed with a little bread and liquidised raw onion, the more onion the better.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Id agree with the onion and the smwll - I use pure lumps of blue cheese (specific brand!) and it reeks! It works a treat but I must admit liguidised onion sounds brilliant amd I will be trying it soon.

Thers are some brilliat cheese selections these days and I will get round to trying most of them one day!