RIVER WEAVER - VALE ROYAL

Houghton

Next sunday (02/12/2007) I make a long awaited return to fishing (12 years). Back then was even more young and stupid (15 yrs).

Anyway, I am going to make my debut on the River Weaver at a stretch what I have been told is called the Vale Royal. I am led to believe here it is 25 feet deep and has a very slow run.

I intend to feeder fish it , but can anybody give me any tips, ie. what the best baits are, methods and what fish I can expect to catch. (if any)

Please, no replies telling me to try a commercial fishery instead after such a long break. Don't get me wrong, I have tried commercials and they are great every now and again but I love a challenge and they simple do not offer me that.

Although I've not fished the stretch you refer too, I know of it and have walked it a few times. As for the reported depth, I don't have a clue

Anglers fishing there seem to use two varieties of groundbait - 1 of which contained an amount of gravel and was quite stiff- I assume to get it to the bottom quickly, this was almost immediately followed by a far looser mix but containing a little fine soil (loam?), I assume to get a cloud going. The flow was minimal, so I suppose it could work.

Not much help, I know, but to be honest, the area didn't appeal to me.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine