Woodstain disaster on new floor. Help?

GlennB

A builder here is threatening to trash a lovely new floor.

He had the sanding/woodstain/varnish guy booked at the same time as the plumber. The plumber needed to walk across the floor, so the floor guy left a gap in the staining for the plumber to cross, then came back and filled it in later.

This leaves a vile darker "tide-mark" of double-stain at the join. It looks bad. The varnish hasn't gone on yet.

Short of starting again and re-sanding, is there a way to fix this, or at least improve it? Solvents?

Many thanks for any advice :)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

He had the sanding/woodstain/varnish guy booked at the same time as the plumber. The plumber needed to walk across the floor, so the floor guy left a gap in the staining for the plumber to cross, then came back and filled it in later.

This leaves a vile darker "tide-mark" of double-stain at the join. It looks bad. The varnish hasn't gone on yet.

Short of starting again and re-sanding, is there a way to fix this, or at least improve it? Solvents?

seen this problem many times mate and I'm afraid the only satisfactory result is re-sanding although you can sometimes get a reasonable job by rubbing over the overlaps with 00 wire wool and then restaining the whole floor. What wood is it ?

seen this problem many times mate and I'm afraid the only satisfactory result is re-sanding although you can sometimes get a reasonable job by rubbing over the overlaps with 00 wire wool and then restaining the whole floor. What wood is it ?

Thanks for the reply. I believe it's pine, it's extremely pale and somebody mentioned "Sweden" along the way...

Hmmm, well we have a removals and moving in deadline so I reckon we'll have to live with it. I fancy a few nice rugs anyway ;)

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Thanks for the reply. I believe it's pine, it's extremely pale and somebody mentioned "Sweden" along the way...

Hmmm, well we have a removals and moving in deadline so I reckon we'll have to live with it. I fancy a few nice rugs anyway ;)

cheers

Glenn if it's a spirt dye ie; Coldren type then try meths on a cloth or 0000 gauge wool that should take it back. If water based than, yes you've guessed, water will cut it back.

Good luck

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Glenn, seems to me you have grounds to have the floor guy back in to fix it. Why should you have to deal with sorting out his mistake? Just my thoughts. I bet you paid quite well for it.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...