The Lenses story continues . . .

Sutton Warrior

The story continues; I decided that a macro lens was not an essential part of my kit. I have not done half a dozen macros in the past 24 months. However, I have always made good use of moderatly a long lense. I have a Sigma 70-300APO (450 on a digital body) that has been a good servant over the years, but it is pre 'Digital' and definatly pre 'D40' so wont auto focus on the 40 body.

Sigma have recently re vamped the vernerable but highly regarded 'value for money' 70-300APO design with digital coatings, I believe it focuses closer? and there is a HSM type motor to acomodate the new Nikon motor less bodies. Plus it has a 1.2 'macro' capabuility. I dug out a test shot I did with my curent 70-300 using a D100 body:

hookrwhook2.jpg

Nothing more than a test shot a couple of years ago.

Looking at 'Sigma's lens web page', they have reproduced 'cherry picked selected coments' from the media. Allowing for bias, its still quite obvious, you get a lot of lens for your money, the 70-300APO punches well above its weight!

So, with my good experiance of the old 70-300APO, the high praise meeted out by the media, an adequate macro facility for my needs and motorise focus that is said to be very fast! I trolled through the net, found 'Miroglobe' doing a deal on said lens for £135 . . . there is one on its way! All set up for some ineresting pictures next year.

Which leaves me with just a wide angle jobie to complet my kit of modestlye priced lenses. Glass on the slow side by profesional and anorack standards, but I can live with that, the Sigma 10-20 HMS is around £320 . . . :g: Thats going to have to wait, try to pick somthing up in the used adds?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior