Lead Core

ramc195

Lead core is just what the name implies - fishing line with a weighted center and normal line on the outside so it sinks.

If you search this forum for 'lead core' you will find dozens of past discussions and some are quite extensive.

The general concensus seems to be that for UK carp fishing, it is somewhat dangerous, very expensive, and has no benefits that can't be gotten in safer ways.

I live and fish in the States and the only standard use for lead core is for trolling when you want your rig to stay deep but for this we are talking conditions similar to sea fishing from a boat except in fresh water.

If you simply want a line that sinks pretty quickly and stays on the bottom unless under tension, fluorocarbon is an option. It is at least twice as dense as mono so it sinks well and with a refractive index almost identical to water, is very low vis.

I use fluorocarbon for lure fishing with diving baits (the sort with a large plastic lip) when I need depth since a lure will run at least a foot to two feet deeper using a fluoro mainline than with mono and about three feet deeper than with a typical braid which tries to float.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use leadcore where ever it is allowed, if used with a regular safety clip or preferably a full running set and a lighter hooklink than main line then there is no reason to fear it. Cost wise it is cheaper than many of the alternatives, some leaders costing 5 quid each where as leadcore is usually 3 leaders for less than that.

If you are asking how and when to use leadcore, my advice would be steer clear of it, if it is used incorrectly, it can be very dangerous for the fish, use a backlead instead, pick up a few more rig skills and then see how you view it. I have seen too many anglers use leadcore wrongly, in the right hands and in the correct manner, it is a very effective way of keeping your rigs "on the deck", and I do tend to use it regularly where allowed, otherwise I use the Korda flying backleads.