Where to fish near Poole

Fuzzy

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a quick question.

This weekend I am taking my eleven year old Son to Poole, we have a boat fishing trip planned for the Sunday but I want to take him shore fishing on the Saturday.

I am a total sea fishing novice (but have been course fishing for years) I have two cheap beach caster rods/reels.

Can anyone reccomend where would be a good place to fish from that is reasonably close to Poole (or even better in Poole!)

Any suggestions on bait and rigs would also be appreciated as it will all be new to me!!

Many thanks in adva

It depends how serious you are. I remember being on holiday at a campsite near Lulworth Cove when I was about twelve years old. Me and my little sister would walk down to Durdle Door and I would fish off the rocks (on the left hand side facing the sea). I'm sure if we had done it these days, my parents would be locked away, but it seemed quite normal then. I had a match rod and a Mitchell Prince reel loaded with 4 lb line. I fished a fixed float set at about 11 or 12 feet deep and probably a size 16 hook baited with a couple of maggots. I caught either a tiny pollack or a wrasse 9including blue, yellow and red ones) every couple of casts, only a couple of feet out from the rocks. I don't know what I would have done if I had hooked anything bigger, as I had to swing them all in. I remember it being quite scary when I peered down from the side facing directly towards the sea, as it looked about 50 feet deep. The water was very clear and you could often see the fish way down below. I remember somebody catching a weaver fish and somebody else caught what I'm pretty sure was a very small cod. It really did look like a cod and not a whiting, pouting or anything similar. I don't know how unusual that would have been if it really was a small cod in the middle of summer.

By the way, I even kept all the fish in a keepnet :D

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.