Put my money where my mouth is . . .

Sutton Warrior

I have mentioned the Sigma 70-300APO in another thread. My old one was pre Digital, so lacked some auto function and internal lens coatings were not optimised. All the while I had a motorised body (Nikon D80) I was happy enough, but since buying a second body D40x at a bargin price . . . well you know how it is.

A troll through the web came up with, new item, £135 + £7pp fully digitised and in lens focus motor.

Put my money where my mouth is! Had a quick hose around my marina this morning. As much as anything to check that it is working corectly.

These are a few of the test shots, sorry if they offend, with the, not so perfect composition and artisic touch, does the lens work was my criteria. I have done nothing to them, accept the zoom/croped macro shot. All are un sharpend with no re touching of any kind.

Container Ship 70mm

1containership70DSC_0039.jpg

Container Ship 300mm

1containership300DSC_0038.jpg

Yacht masts 70mm

1masts70DSC_0033.jpg

Yacht Masts 300mm' had to be hand focused, there's a suprise, focus point window frame corner of observation office.

1Masts300handfocusDSC_0035.jpg

Fishing boat, 122mm

1SLR122mmDSC_0048.jpg

At 300mm macro setting, the daisy head is about the size of a 10p.

1daziymacroonlyADSC_0028.jpg

Daisy zoomed and croped in 'PS Elements', but not sharpened.

1daisyzoomcropDSC_0028.jpg

The other point that may be worth mentioning. I bought a Manfrotto monopod the other day, with single axsis head. All these pics, including the macro daisy, were taken using the monopod. First time I'v used one, once I worked out how best to hold camera and M/pod. From there on I'm impressed how well 'mechanical VR' works.

So, for £135, the Sigma 70-135APO, digitised, medium telephoto lens with focus motor gets my :thumbs:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior