stand together or sink?

Guest john m

i know this might sound reactionary but i am

a little fed up of not catching much from the beaches around sussex/hants.i know that

catching is only part of fishing but i feel that we are being sold down the river or beach,whatever.

i live sixty odd miles from the sea and a single trip costs around £60 odd quid,with bait and fuel,this gives revenue to the local tackle shops,garage,bait diggers,and fish and chip shop.

i sit on a beach all night in the hope of catching something.

take away that hope and what have you got nothing thats what.

we sea anglers are a docile bunch and we do not get nasty or protest.

but i think its high time we joined together

and made our selves heard.

i do not advocate violence of any kind but i would like to know the views of other sea anglers on this subject.

Hi John

Yes there is a problem with fish stocks and we sea anglers as a whole could be doing more to get something done.

If you dont mind taking a bit of advice it may help you personally if you look at what you could do when planning a trip to help improve your catch rate.

EG target a certain species

find where that species is being caught reguarly

find out what baits lures are working well in that area.

find out best tide time for above.

vary casting distance every now and then.

as you are travelling some distance you can find out all the above on the many sites and forums on the web. I find if you ask a question on most of the forums the folks using them will help you as best they can.

all else failing try targeting a different species.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers mmc

Guest fishytale@aol.com

hi john

as you well know fish stocks are at an all time low, as a charter skipper i know how frustrating it can be, sometimes you need to vary the terminal tackle as i have found it does work well

may i suggest that you contact Dave Docwra in great yarmouth he does an excellent booklet on rigs etc, this is probably one of the best bits of kit in your tackle box as it improved my catches from the beach no-end, find the area you want to fish then adapt to it & dont believe the tackle shops as they only want your money!

good luck if i can be of help dont hesitate to contact me on 07980 871731 this is the boat number and i will give any help i can

regards

Mick Kelly (freedom charters)

Hi John,

Anglers all over the country will be nodding their heads in agreement at what you say. A few of us here have started lending our support in the shape of the Sea Anglers' Conservation Network.

We've had some success and most of this has come through people like yourself taking the time to write of fax your MP - believe it or not, it does make a difference.

All we can do in the meantime is make the most of the fishing we've got - the advice above should help you on your way. The real problems are going to take a bit longer and need the support of all anglers.

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

I think there are some hard choices to make, and I don't believe the governement are willing to take them. 10 years ago I finished my degree in marine biology, and we were talking about the impending collapse of north sea cod then. I am suprised it has taken so long. There needs to be a widespread ban on taking cod from the north sea (anglers included), probably for only a year, but supported by a compensation programme for all of the fishermen/charter skippers who would be out by it. Following this, some sensible limits on catches could be set to manage the fishery. If we don't. it will only be a matter of time until we are in the same situationas the Newfoundland cod fishery. Years after the collapse, there are still no fish.