Marine VHF Handhelds...your thoughts?

greencat

Managed to book my VHF Short Range Certificate training/exam for 06-Dec-08 to enable me to use a marine vhf radio in emergencies. The question is, which of the myriad of radios to go for?

OK, that might be an exageration once I discount US offerinigs and focus on UK specific handhelds but what are people out there using day to day and how do you find them?

The few on the shortlist at the moment are:

- Standard Horizon HX750E

- Marathon Leisure Cobra HH415

- Icom M33

- Entel HT640

Prefer radios with Lithium batteries but also handy if they can be swapped out for standard AA cells. Want it to be waterproof (enough to take a dunk even if a have to perform some regular maintenance). Handy if it floats.

I have experience with Standard Horizon (Yaesu) and Icom and really rate their equipment from a receiver point of view. The Icom M33 fits all the criteria but has anyone out there used one?

Your thoughts in general?

Michael

Hi Greencat

I can vouch for Icom, nice radio!

At the moment Im using the IC-M71 has a 6Watt output and will opperate for 15-16 hrs working of a 2000mAh Lithium Battery.

Unfortunatly, it does not float,but it is waterproof, having said that, the Radio should be attached to you, and not the Kayak.

Checking Battery levels before a planned trip ensures peace of mind.

Just my two penneth :)

Bill.

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

...having said that, the Radio should be attached to you, and not the Kayak.

Cheers Bill, will take a look at that one as well. Your right of course...the floating bit is just a nice to have for those 'blonde' moments but the intention would be to have it shackled to the PFD so it remains with me while I watch the kayak drifting away in the current :o