.dat help

Clifftop

I had an email sent to me today with an attachment that ended with .dat.

could not open it, got a little window open that said do you want to go on the net and look for a programme to open it.

I went searching but to be honest i dont have a clue what im looking for. Found stuff that was talking about registry and stuff and it was all beyond me.

So is there a simple programme i can download to open this type of thing .dat

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

.dat files are data files and need to be handled by whatever program created them.

Unless you know that you won't have any luck with the file.

If it was called winmail.dat this link will give good info. Otherwise, we need more details.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

screw that, download it and open it with notepad first and see if theres any human readable text inside it to give an indication of what its meant for

theres also no reason to be recieveing a .dat file from an unexpected email sounds suspect

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

screw that, download it and open it with notepad first and see if theres any human readable text inside it to give an indication of what its meant for

theres also no reason to be recieveing a .dat file from an unexpected email sounds suspect

Hi Andy, didnt work with notepad but you pointed me in the right direction and eventually i got to Windows media player and it opened in there.Thank You. Thanks to Newt also for the input.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/