Nostalgic . . . 'Does and donts'

Sutton Warrior

Had occasion to visit my formative growing up district on Thursday, an experiance of fond memories, snow balls, hay-ricks, orchards(scrumping :rolleyes: ), catapolts and fishing rods. Stoped at the old gravel pits I used to fish as a lad, memories of fish that, in those days, to a 11 year old were record breakers. Giant prehistoric dragon flies, birds in the reed beds, and wind waving the frons. All changed now, 50 years on, most of the reeds have gone, mature trees in thier place, the harshness of a disused, bomb crater style gravel pit transformed into wooded lakes, different to my memories but still aluring, despite the changes, I could still recognised my favourite swims.

It was a wet, overcast day, gray and not condusive to picture taking. I had finished my lunch box . . . I was here, still with a couple of hours on my hands. Despite the rain, the draw of 50 years was strong.

I took about 20 pictures, nothing very exciting, however I learned. Modern 'slow glass' needs a little thought . . . ISO 400 at least! I was set to 200, not enough, even using a mono pod! Dont try to change lenses in the rain!!! I got away with it, under a tree, just! If you have an 18-200VR lense on, leave it, and leave the 'Tele shots' for another day! The camera needed a wipe down, had tissus, too soft, they break up quickly and leave bits. Fortunatly I had some unused kitchen roll in my lunch box, perfect to gently dab the camera and lens body dry, not for the glass of course! And dont go lake walking in good shoes, <_< fortunatly, I was wearing fairly heavy duty work type shoes, but they still needed drying and a good clean and polish the next morning . . . at 6.30!!! Which is how I saw the moon . . . another thread . . . half an hour late for work Friday morning :whistling:

An enjoyable, nostalgic couple of hours, despite the light rain. I learned a few simple 'does and donts', and out of the 20 shots I have a couple for posterity. :camera:

SW