Solent fishing report

Guest Martyn

Hello

I've just registered with Anglers Net and I think it gives an excellent opportunity to share ideas and, even better, reports of what is being caught where. Personally, I need all the help I can get!

At last I managed to get out onto the Solent last Friday after months of only being able to think about it. Fished on the southern edge of the Brambles, nothing exciting, just loads of doggies and a pout. BUT I was fishing!! and that beats just thinking about it.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who fishes the area about reports, hot spots etc. as I don't know it that well and every bit of info helps! I will certainly let you all know of any results when I manage to get out again.

Tight lines

Martyn

Guest fisherman

Hi Martyn.

Welcome aboard, I was out in the Solent a few weeks ago, only becuase we could not get to the Nab ( to bloody rough ) again Posted Image

I am out again on the 28, fingers crossed we can get to the Nab this time.

Take a look at the end of the Christmas thread, you are not alone. Tight lines.

Dave Posted Image

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.

Good luck on 28th. but now a question.

I've never fished the Nab area and when I look at the charts the Nab covers a vast area so I havn't a clue where to start. Is there any idiots guide or do I just look for any other boats and hope they know what they are doing? I've got an Orkney 19+ so shouldn't be a problem getting out there on a decent day.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Keep fishing!

Martyn

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited 19 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited 19 December 2000).]

Guest fisherman

Martyn, all I can tell you really is that there is a ledge ( Bembridge Ledge ) that runs from Bembridge out towards the Nab (I think ) this is where the boats seem to head for. The depth and bottom does vary considerabley, from broken to quite clean ground. I should imagine if you heade out towards the Nab and saw a few boats in that area you could not go far wrong.

I shall try and find some more info for you.

Have you read December and January`s Sea Angler? There is quite a bit on the Nab v. Needles, might help a little.

Dave

[This message has been edited by fisherman (edited 19 December 2000).]

Martyn,

I fish the western solent / needles area regularly, we spend the summer wrecking and bassing ( with lures )and when we can get out codding in the winter, if you want info regarding catches, marks etc. fell free to e-mail me:

rob@game-online.co.uk

Are you in a club? Lymington and district S.F.C have a new club house with compound the small boat section is starting up again after a few years in the doldrums, they will be having regular comps etc.

Welcome to the forum

Happy Xmas

Rob.

To Dave and RobT

Hey, two really helpful guys in one hit! This is a great forum.

I keep my boat on the Beaulieu River so I can reach both the Needles and Nab areas quite easily. Maybe we can contribute to the Nab Vs Needles debate that Dave mentioned in his message, has anyone else got any views on that?

I will certainly take up your offer to e-mail you Rob, and you too Dave if you don't mind. Unfortunately, what with work (I'm going to have to give it up!), weather, (can't do anything about that) and the house just flooding (no comment!) I think I will be doing more talking about fishing than doing it for the forseeable future!

Keep catching

Martyn