The effect of WD40 on line

MikeT

After a day at Timsbury, my centrepin reel needs a good old clean and lube. I always quite enjoy this post-angling ritual, especially when my reel is really cruddy with maggot dust, mud and half-dried water streaks all over it- as it is this morning. So, the first stage is to soak it in a good spray of WD40.

I’ve always wondered if bad for the line to be soaked in WD40 in the process. I can’t say I’ve noticed any damaging effect, but perhaps someone here knows different. I imagine it being more of a possible problem with braid, which I suppose is more absorbent of the oil. Any thoughts?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WD40 is a well known 'flavouring'. That's supposed to be refined from fish oil, so there's a reason for it working on normally flavourless spoons etc. but being so thin, it also acts as a solvent for thicker oils. By spraying some on your deadbait before casting, you are in effect making the fish's oils thinner. Don't use it though. No matter what they say about it, it's still industrial oil and it doesn't belong in our waterways.

**I'll leave some WD40 information at the bottom of the page**

As I've said, I use Aniseed Oil with good results but there are other flavour/odour ideas that people have employed.

In Ireland, it's been known for pikers to use kippers laced with whiskey. Barmy? well alcohol acts as an emulsifier, so in effect, it helps disperse the very potent scent of a kipper. Whether folk knew what was taking place when this combination was first tried is open to debate but there is science behind the madness.

Dominic Moore's 'Haggis Oil' is actually smoked haddock flavoured oil. Not very natural but very effective I'm told. We'll be told fish like cigarettes next. Smoke indeed.

Grayling oil is made from thyme I'm told. The Latin name for grayling is Thymallus, which refers to the taste of it's flesh, which does actually smell just like thyme. Making oil from grayling does seem rather wasteful so it probably is just made with the herb.

I reckon I'd give any oil a bash. There are all kinds of natural oils you could try. Vegetable oils, fish oils, nut oils, seed oils, essential oils...lots of kinds. Pike apparently have the ability to analyse a scent like a spectrometer, so having never seen a mackerel before, they 'know' by the scent that it's made up of lots of things that are good to eat. It's thought the pike's submandibular pores may play some part in this process. I've looked for hard evidence but not found any to the contrary so I'm willing to accept this for now. If true, almost any natural oil derivative could be worth a taste from the pike's point of view. I know aniseed works and that smells like nothing in the Highland waters I fish I'm sure.

Give me some peanut oil and I'll try it tomorrow!.....

From the PAC website.....

"Use of WD40 as a bait additive

The PAC has contacted the Environment Agency with regard to the use of WD40 as a bait additive.

The EA stated that they do not recommend the use of this substance as a bait additive and class it as a pollutant. If it was over used on a fishery by several anglers it could have an adverse impact on the aquatic environment with some fish and invertebrates suffering. In very small amounts it should not harm fish, but it is impossible to say at this moment what levels would be damaging.

Using WD40 on your baits could leave you liable to prosecution. The PAC recommends that you do not use this or similar oils on your baits - give a thought for the pike and its environment."

From the back of a can of WD40..... .....

"May cause anaesthesia, headache, dizziness, nausea and upper Respiratory

irritation

Skin contact: May cause drying of skin and/or irritation

Eye contact: May cause irritation, tears and redness

Ingestion: May cause irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea

DANGER If swallowed can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonia. Do not

induce vomiting.

Obtain medical assistance"

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That’s a very interesting post, Andy, though I’m struggling to see how it answers my question about the possible damaging effect of WD40 on line. But following your line of thought, are you suggesting WD40 shouldn’t be used to clean a reel in case it contaminates the line and thus causes pollution?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

WD40 isn't a lubricating oil as such. It's more of a penetrating oil for loosening seized parts. I use use a proper lubricant like GT85 or or Singer Sewing machine oil, for my reels. As for your line, candle wax, Vaseline etc, make excellent line floatants and both are harmless to the environment.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

It's more of a penetrating oil

Yes, I find it quite excellent at penetrating cruddy maggot dust, mud and half-dried water streaks, which is why I use it for cleaning my reel. In fact, it is particularly in this regard that I’m hoping for elucidation on this thread, rather than its unrelated merits as a lubricant or bait additive.

Sorry I didn't mean to detract from your original question. I already had my first reply saved elsewhere and so I just posted it because it had some relevance to you possible pollution worries.

But, it has pointed out any possible pollution and legal repercussions that could arise from it's use and I have addressed your query as what to use a line-floatant, so again, sorry for going off on a tangent a little but you query has been answered, even if I did take the long way round.

.....Reagds....Andy

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

...it has pointed out any possible pollution and legal repercussions that could arise from it's use and I have addressed your query as what to use a line-floatant, so again, sorry for going off on a tangent a little but you query has been answered

I’m very confused about exactly what it is your posts have answered, Andy. I wasn’t asking any questions about line floatant, the legal and ecological implications of using WD40 as a bait additive, or its comparative limitations as a lubricant.

I’m sorry to labour the point, but (notwithstanding everything else) does WD40 damage fishing line?

Please don’t feel I’m only asking you, personally, this particular question.

I don't believe WD40 would damage the line.....happy?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

happy?

Yes, I’m exceedingly happy, thank you for asking. Are you?

funny thread, clean it with fresh water after you cleaned your reels with it would be a good idea if your worried about it.

personaly i wouldnt "Spray" it right on to the reel but would take a cloth and damp'n it with wd40 just to clear the reels surface of crap so you dont need to even touch the line "much". i see where andys coming from mike, hes basicly just given you information on how the WD40 works and how it might effect your line.

you asked about lubing aswell, WD40 in my opinion isnt the best lube to use i get the feeling when i used it on something a long time ago i could hear it grind on the metal still.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk