is there anything wrong with...........

big stew 76

Just one thing I should mention. Don't choose hooks to match a certain species. There's no such thing as a 'Roach Hook'.

Choose your hooks to match your bait. You'll often hear folk saying they use size 20s for Roach, no matter which bait they're using. A size 20 hook is no use hidden inside a piece of corn, just like a size 8 hook is no use for presenting a single maggot. Whatever species you target, pick a selection of baits and then choose the correct hooks to go with each bait, not the fish.

If I'm Roach fishing I may use a size 20 to present a single maggot or a caster. On the other hand, I might choose a size 8 hook to present 2 pieces of corn. Roach will eat maggots, casters, dendrobes, corn and all manner of varying sized baits. If they can fit something as large as a piece of corn in their mouth, they should have no problem accepting the hook it's correctly presented on. You see? So don't ask for 'Roach hooks' at the tackle shop. Decide which baits you'll be using and choose the correct hook to present that choice of bait.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

post back and let us know how you get on and even if it didn't go well. today the SW winds should help and using maggots on small hooks should give you a few fish on the bank. Just don't give up the rewards will be there with time.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Just call me the roach king!! i had a great day, caught a fish on my second cast! the biggest of the day was about 6" long but size aint everything :)

i came up with the bright idea of putting a few maggots on the hook to see if a bigger fish would take them! this method was floored as i under estimated how greedy fish can be. 3 maggots on a size 16 hook and i pull in the smallest roach of the day! lol i could hardly get the disgorger in past the maggots hanging out its mouth as it looked at me like a fat child with a mouthfull of cake!!

now im just waiting for some fair weather then im out again!!

cheers for the advice guys it helped me catch fish

stew

A pair of mini forceps can be more useful at times than a disgorger. With the forceps, you don't have to negotiate any baits. You simply grab the hook shank, lock the forceps and then ease the hook out with a minimum of fuss.

Well done on catching some winter fish. It's not easy thing in this weather so well done mate. Keep is informed and ask any further questions you come up with.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Just call me the roach king!! i had a great day, caught a fish on my second cast! the biggest of the day was about 6" long but size aint everything :)

I like your style mate! It's a great feeling pulling fish out when you've little or ne experience to go on. I went out in the cold a couple of weeks ago on my local carp lake and pulled out a lovely common of a couple of lbs, and a nice 5lb mirror, but only once I'd followed my gut instinct and cast my feeder into what looked like an unlikely spot.

I'm going to try trotting maggots on my local river this weekend to see what comes in, just hoping the weather holds out and the fish are in the mood!

Well done

Chappa

The older I get, the faster I was!