Moray Firth Fishing

urquhartia

Hello, I live in the Moray firth area (Kildary) I have been going fishing in Balintore. Can anyone suggest a suitable place for my area, or better yet is there a knowledgeable fisher near me who would be willing to give some advice via email?

Regards Urquhart

(New to fishing but detemined to land something large.) So far all I have had are a few cod, some silver and brown things and a few crabs, yes apparently crabs like squid!!

I guess it depends on what you expect and what the local potential is, some people would be really happy with ‘just a few cod’! There must be some good flattie fishing around there, both the Cromarty Firth and Dornoch, a 2lb flounder is a fine specimen and I guess there is the chance of turbot as well.

I have never fished up there but I hear that Tarbat Ness is supposed to be a good rock mark. Its not much help but I once found a site that described it in detail, I can't find it now but if I do I’ll post it. A 5lb pollack on spinning or float gear should be enough fun, and there must be some bigger cod as well. I’ve walked the cliffs beyond Cromarty as well and there looked to be some good potential there, but I would stay well clear unless you are an experienced rock angler.

Sorry I can’t offer any more specific information, Aberdeen and Wester Ross I could help with but I have never fished Easter Ross, although the area looks to have loads of potential. Good luck.

Hello,

thanks for the tips fellows. Apparently yes flatties are common but I hae yet to see sign of the little blighters!; sure a few cod are good guess I have to hold my hand up and say I'm being greedy.

As for rock angling, I pretty much hae the tackle to cope with the rough but as you hint best to keep away for now as I'm only a beginner. Still there are always the iews to admire in this area, I was early enough to catch sunrise over the Firth the other morning, what a beautiful sight, made the trip worthwhile.

Regards Urquhart

P.S. Anyone know what the "silver and brown things" were? they are brown on the top half and silver underneath, or was it the other way around? Hmmmmmmm Incidentaly anyone know if the Green crabs in the area are safe to eat?