river soar

Chappa

Just a bit of advice I'm after please?

I'm going to have a go at a bit of river fishing on the Soar in Leicestershire this weekend. This'll be my first try on a river (believe it or not!), so can anyone give me a good location, and any advice on specioes to target? I was thinking of targeting roach with maggot/caster and maybe try lobworm for perch.

Thanks for taking the time to anyone willing to reply to another new-guy question! :D

Cheers

Chappa

The older I get, the faster I was!

It will be interesting to see if you get any useful answers to this one, based on my "There aren't many East Midlands members who still post regularly, unfortunately, so any local information interchange is limited." reply to your post in the New Members forum.

I've never fished it myself, but I've walked the whole free stretch in Jubilee Park (Whetstone, off the Foxhunter roundabout) and seen some decent roach and perch, plus what were probably very small barbel. There's a good mix of shallow runs and deeper parts if you walk the whole stretch, it's pretty inaccessible with large nettle beds in the summer but should be OK now. That stretch does flood very easily though. One of the old posters had a 2½lb chub on floating crust from there and saw one estimated at 5lb. He also used to lure fish the Soar/GUC and had some success with jack pike. I'll PM him and see if he's still around (he's not logged on for over a month and hasn't posted for ages) to reply.

Thanks mate, that'd be great. I was looking at the north end of the river from Thurmaston lock onwards unless there's any contrasting advice forthcoming? Thanks for the reply

Chappa

The older I get, the faster I was!