Blogs

26 September

River Kennet - Hambridge 0700 - 1330 Cool (5ºC when I started), bright and breezy. River quite low - normal for Sep. 3 Chub; all 1-2lb. 5 Barbel (!!!); all 12oz-1lb. 8 Dace - all chunky ones in the 6-8oz class with a couple a tad bigger. 4 Brown Trout; one close to 3lb the others circa 12oz+. Another recce session - following up on some recently acquired intelligence (cheers Martin - spot on! 👍). Been a few years since I last exchanged my NAA card for a CSAS one to fish this

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb in Coarse Fishing

19 September (Part 2)

River Kennet - Brimpton (Aldershot water) 1030 - 1400 Warm and sunny. 21ºC. River at normal September levels. 13 Chub(!): 7 over 1lb but 'only' 2 over 2 - best  2lb 10oz & 3lb 2oz. 4 Roach - all a nice size - best 13oz. 2 Dace. 5 Brownies - all around 10oz with one a fair bit bigger. Another swim I've not fished in a while - though I won't be so tardy revisiting it! Nice to see smaller chub coming through - and the roach were a real bonus as well.

19 September (Part 1)

River Kennet - Colthrop 0700 - 1015 Bright and sunny. River at normal early autumn levels (i.e. quite low). 2 Chub - both quite small. 5 Roach - handsized or better. 4 Dace. 12 Gudgeon and a bleak. Bit of a recce trip as I haven't fished here for a while - ran a float through half a dozen swims on the backstream, giving each half an hour or so. 

14 September

River Wye, Llanthomas 1630 - 1930 Warm,sunny evening. 2 Barbel: 5lb 14oz & 7lb 7oz. Mission accomplished! I usually make a point of NOT fishing when I'm on holiday with Mrs P - I tend to stay married that way! However when a long weekend in the Brecons became a week's stay in Hay due to our Greek holiday falling victim of Covid it would have been churlish not to drop in on Geoff's! I've known Geoff over 20 years and around 9 years ago he acquired a mile (double bank) of t

9 September

Willows Lake - Thatcham 1800 - 2300 Warm evening (though temps were starting to plummet when I left) 21º->12ºC. 2 Carp: 13lb 14oz, 7lb 2oz. 2 Tench - both quite small but pushing a lb. 3 Crucians - handsized. A session topped and tailed by the 2 carp. The biggie snaffled my float fished maggot within 20mins of starting and with a 16 to a 4lb bottom I was grateful for the help of a fellow angler for its netting! In truth the carp were a pain - especially until it got dark a

5 September

River Kennet - Marsh Benham 0700 - 1200 Cool and sunny - felt quite autumnal first thing. 9-15ºC 2 Chub; a brace of 2lbers and a couple of chublets. 30+ Roach & a doz+ Dace - nothing particularly big. 5 Bleak. 3 Rainbows 2½-4½lb. 1 Brownie; 3lb+ A morning hunting chub but finding mainly rainbows 🙄 - I also lost 3 - one of which was nailed by a huge pike as I brought it in!

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

2 September

Alders Lake - Thatcham 1745 - 2215 Overcast, quite breezy at times and the AT actually went up a degree from 15-16ºC 1 Bream; 4lb 14oz. 1 Tench - c1lb. 2 Perch - both 'half decent' around 8-10oz. 3 Rudd. Bites a-plenty for the first couple of hours (though I think a lot of them were rudd attacking the shot) - went very quiet as it got dark - exact opposite to what usually happens. Only bite after 2000 was the bream - which was very much a last cast fish - and meant I had a ve

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

29 August (Part 2)

River Kennet - Widmead 1015 - 1215 Sunny spells and still cool - 14ºC. 1 Chub: 1½lb. 13 Dace: most a really nice size - biggest 12oz. 1 Roach. A real pain getting through the minnows - but once you did there were some quality dace on offer - still hoping this swim will produce decent chub - but had just the one modest sized one early in the session to show for my efforts. Best dace of the season (so far!)

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

29 August (Part 1)

River Kennet - Hambridge 0615 - 0930 Cool (9ºC) and overcast - more like late October than late August!  River higher than normal for this time of year - but reasonably clear given all the rain this week. 2 Chub; 3lb 14oz & a chublet. 1 Pike; 8lb 12oz. 7 Dace, 5 Roach and a couple of brownies - 12oz+. Chub first cast ( as per usual) after trickling in maggot for 15mins before starting. One of the dace was an absolutel clonker - a season's best for all of 2 and a bit hours

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

26 August

River Kennet - Brimpton 1800 - 2300 Warm, still evening (calm after the storm!). River up a tad and carrying a bit of colour (and the odd branch!) 2 Roach (handsized). 2 Dace. 3 Gudgeon & a Brownie (small). An hour's trotting - hopeful of a chub - but really just a blank prevention measure (!) followed by 4 hours staring at a couple of isotopes willing one of them to wrap around with a three foot twitch. Alas the only excitements came from the crayfish and numerous bats c

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

22 August

River Kennet - Padworth 0600 - 1230 Bright and blowy! River at normal summer levels and carrying a bit of colour. 1 Chub, 7 Roach & 7 Dace. 3 dace in the 8-10oz class (nice!) and a couple of the Roach were 12-14oz as was the chub. 2 Gudgeon, 1 Bleak. After my success here trotting last month I promised to return and have a proper go on the float. Fished around 10- to a dozen swims and only had fish from 2 of them with the chub and all the bigger silvers coming from the fi

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

20 August

Alders Lake - Thatcham 1900 - 2330 Warm, clear evening (Great views of Jupiter, Saturn & Mars) 21º-16ºC 3 Tench; 3lb 11oz, 2lb 13oz and a smallun (though would have been close to a lb). 2 Rudd (small but not micro-small!) Slow evening which burst into life a little after 10pm when I had all 3 tincas in quick succession - prompted me to spend an extra half an hour beyond my intended pack up time - but had no more bites after 2245. Last blackberry haul of the summer!

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

14 August (5th Paul Goulbourn Memorial Trophy Fish-in)

Harris Lake - Marsh Farm , Milford. 0630 - 2330 Warm (still 18ºC when I got home at 0100), overcast and DRY - despite the forecast and the downpours the day before. There was some VERY annoying light drizzle for the last hour or so - but overall conditions were very benign - thankfully! 2 Crucians; 3lb 1oz & 2lb 9oz. 4 Tench - 2@4lb+ - biggest 4lb 9oz. 3 Perch. A doz+ Rudd (micro!!) 3 Time lucky! This is the 3rd IAC fish-in I've organised in 2020 and the first one to actu

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

8 August

Middle Kennet Weirpool - Marsh Benham 0600 - 1200 Hot and sultry - 19º -> 27ºC. River a little on the low side but not as bad as it can be in August! 12 Chub: 6 over lb, best 2 both went 4lb 3oz (different fish) - nice to see some small ones. 3 Bream; 2¾ to just under 4lb. 30 Dace. 20+ Roach. 4 Bleak. 1 Brown Trout - 6lb 1oz (!!) & 2 Rainbows of 2½ & 3½lbs. Cracking morning's trotting - though the big brownie was on ledgered meat and had me convinced I was into a b

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

5 August

Willows Lake - Thatcham 1830 - 2230 Overcast and breezy with showers for the first hour. 21º - 18ºC bit felt chillier in the breeze. 1 Tench; 2lb 5oz. 3 Crucians - 2 'hand-sized' the third slightly bigger. 3 Perch. So at last I've caught a crucian out of Willows this season - just not quite the size I was after! Most fish in the first couple of hours and I should probably have had more has the bites were quite tentative and hard to spot in the heavy ripple. Only one fish afte

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

31 July/1 Aug

Willows Lake - Thatcham 1800 - 0200 Hot and sultry. 28ºC and still 18ºC when I packed up at 2am. Bit of a breeze at times but not enough to keep off a veritable plague of mossies - plenty of Jungle Formula was called for! 4 Tench; 3lb 4oz, 3lb, 2lb 13oz, 2lb11oz. 1 Carp; 6lb 11oz. 2 Roach - handsized. 4 Perch.(and another 3lb of blackberries!) Steady evening's sport on one of the warmest nights I've ever fished. Rotated between maggot and prawn - all the small stuff on mag -

Chris Plumb

Chris Plumb

29 July

Alders Lake - Thatcham 1830 (by the time I started fishing) - 2300 Warm, slightly overcast evening. AT 23ºC  down to 16ºC when I packed up. 1 Tench (small), 2 Rudd (very small!) This evening's venue choice was dictated by the quality of the blackberries rather than the fishing! Another 3lbs picked which Mrs P will be converting into her rather lovely bramble jelly! Fishing was pretty dire - my worst return from Alders this summer. All fish around 2130 when I had half an hour

24 July

Alders Lake - Thatcham 1800 - 0000 Warm, overcast and breezy. AT a balmy 18ºC at midnight! 2 Tench; 3lb 5oz & 2lb 7oz. 1 Crucian - handsized. Surprisingly slow evening with bites at a premium, though nice to get another of the lake's small crucians. Tench were 3 hours apart (8&11pm) with the crucian putting in an appearance just after 10pm. Alternated between prawn sections and maggot - though all fish falling to maggot. Had intended to fish longer but driving drizzle

21 July

River Kennet - Padworth 1745 - 2215 Warm (22ºC) and sunny - though temps were dropping sharply after sunset. River at normal summer levels. 5 Chub: A 2lber and 4 fish in the 12oz-1lb class. 2 Roach; 1lb (on the nose!) & 14oz (!!), 3 Dace - all quite chunky ones. 1 brownie - c12oz. Bit of a 'recce' trip as I haven't fished here since 2017 and whilst I didn't really expect to get a barbel, when I switched from trotting to ledgering, I certainly didn't expect such a fine bra

17/18 July

Jubilee Lake - Thatcham 1830 - 0400 Warm clear night with a slight breeze to keep the dew and mossies at bay. Still 14ºC when I packed up at 0400. Lovely night for star/planet gazing - with a double dose of the ISS. 1 Carp 6lb 2oz. Really quiet night - not at all what I expected - only bite came at around 2200 on my float fished prawn section in the margins (hoping for a tinca to show up) - the alarm on my other rod ledgering pellet or boilie was silent all night apart from t

14 July

Alders Lake - Thatcham 1830 - 2315 Overcast and warm(ish). AT 15ºC when I packed up. 1 Bream; 5lb 10oz. 2 Tench: 2lb 15oz and a smallun. 1 Crucian - small - handsized - but a very welcome sight. 4 small Rudd. First time in a few seasons I've had tench AND bream in the same session from here - the bream was very much a last cast fish - was starting to pack my stuff away when I noticed my float dithering around and I assumed it was another crucian or even a crayfish - so very p

11 July

Harris Lake - Marsh Farm - Milford 0000 - 0500 Cool and clear. (Thermo in the car was at 4ºC when I left - and it felt chuffing cold - thankfully the fish kept me busy!). Good night for observing the night sky - lots to see. ISS went over twice, perfect  visibility of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Venus rising at dawn was stunning - and could clearly see Comet NEOWISE just before sunrise in the eastern sky - twas visible for around 20mins at around 0320 - and I even saw a stunningly long m

10 July

Johnsons Lake - Milford 1500 - 2315 Sunny spells and quite cool (16º-17ºC) for the 2nd week of July. 1 Tench (small) and 1 Rudd. Dismal session - lake was rammed again and yet again had to drop into the only available swim - and it was little consolation that few others - apart from some of the carpers were catching. Brian - 2 swims down (in one of my favourite spots!) didn't even register a bite!