Cuba

Elton

Posted on behalf of Rob - please add all responses to this thread:

I am planning a trip to Cuba in November and have heard that angling supplies there are somewhat minimal so I would like to know which tackle to take with me, crankbaits or softbaits.I am looking to target young tarpon, jack crevalle and snapper. I would prefer to fish the mangroves so if anyone could give some advice on good spots, fishing permits, boat hire etc. I would greatly appreciate it.I would like to keep it on a

shoestring if possible!!

Thanks

Rob

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Where is Rob going?

There are no tackle shops in Cuba and you will have to take everything you are likely to need with you.

Some resorts, like the Cayos have guiding services and you can usually get a blue water charter hire but the quality of the fishing will depend on where you are, Varedero for example is not best placed for decent Big game fishing but you will have fun off the beach with the smaller species.

As for fishing Permits, I believe they are required but no-one has ever asked me for one or indeed told me how to get a hold of one; maybe tourists are exempt.

I fish the mangroves on most of my trips, as I find the fishing more interesting than sitting behind a spread of skirted lures. I usually find that Poppers or walk the dog type lures in various shapes and forms work best for me. My particular favourites are Yozuri Magnum poppers, but the cheap Bass buster poppers have done just as well. As for species I have had loads of Barracuda to 15lb Cubera Snapper to 40lb, Grouper, Loads of different Snappers, but mainly Red and Grey, and Black Jacks I have not had Jack Crevalle or Snook yet.

Also look on the Cuba mania fishing forum as this is excellent for advice.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony,

I've just received the following:

Hi

Just a word of thanks for putting forward my questions to the forum. I have another question for

Tony U regarding Cuba. I am keen to fish the mangroves for species such as jack, tarpon, cuda and

snapper but would like to keep it on a shoestring. I realise Jardines de la Reina might be out of my

budget but could he recommend any other mangrove areas where I could fish on my own without a guide

after a couple of days instruction???

Thanks for all the help

Rob

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Rob

Head for either Cayo Coco or Cayo Guillermo, Thomas Cook do a range of reasonable packages to hotels on these Islands. The Fishing there is excellent it is where I head to.

You will get Big Cuda, Tarpon, Snapper, Jacks some Bonefish and Snook and Jacks in season.

There are a number of creeks near the hotels where you can fish without a guide and the causeway between Cayo Guillermo and Cayo Coco is a noted hot spot.

You will not be able to fish the mangrove channels on your own, as you will need a boat to access them and you really need the local knowledge of a guide, to stop you getting lost in the maze of channels.

Chartering a boat to fish the mangroves will cost you CCP 160 per day, this will allow two to fish comfortably and three at a push; there are usually other fisherman at the resorts, so this will allow you to share costs with them and there is usually enough room for your partner to do some sun bathing as well as you fishing.

All of the hotels have hobby cats or similar sailing boats and these will take you put reef fishing for around CCP20 per hour, just have a word with the guys running the boats on the beach.

You can also fish the reef from a pedallo or a kayak, if you fancy messing around for an hour or two, some big fish have been caught this way.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.