Martin Gay's 1989 50lb+ Common Carp (and many others!)

I trust the 'plug' here for fishingmagic is forgiven given the importance of the subject....

For all the carp fishermen who succumbed to the jealous lies put out when and since Martin Gay caught a 50-52lb common carp along with a long string of big mirrors from an English water in 1989, please take the time to read and absorb the following thread. My contributions and that of an old buddy who was close to Martin constitute the facts and the truth. Readers will notice that nobody who 'counts' got back to refute anything I later put to them. This is because they realised - perhaps long ago - the folly of their blind belief in ONE individual who was shown the untouched photo's by Martin but denied the location. Sadly for him, I and at least 6 others saw the pic's before he did!

I have been criticized for 'dragging all this up again' but time means nothing, nothing at all, when somebody's reputation and angling history are at stake. I hope you all agree.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/opinion/16954-martin-gay-and-the-48lb-common-setting-the-record-straight.html

Cliff,

Looks like this has been a burr under your saddle for a long time.

I'm new to the story. Is there a photo of said fish?

Is it an English "guppy" strain of carp? Canada has produced VERY few if any English guppies.

"...writer of great note" - in 13,100 hits on google I could only find your article and his obit by Rickards?

If he was a "good friend of 35 years" I doubt it would have embarrased him to collect details (in confidence) my knee jerk is that's lame.

Americans lie - it is a quite acceptable practice to lie about fishing. My PB is somewhere in that range (over 50 - including my weigh-sling and a few cups of water, which I never mention).

Fishing is for fun. Has nothing to do with my level of integrity in commerce or daily life. As a professional (I'm assuming?) he would have had to be under extreme pressure to contrive such a story and - - - - at great risk. Would the risk/benefit been worth adding a few kg of fish professionally? (i.e. a big sponsorship)

Why or how will your passionate post help England and all carp angling now? Do you know a soul who might change there mind?

Ohh, and I believe Colin Brett - a stand-up guy on AN

Phone,

BTW my PB carp came on 12 lb mono, freelined, with two kernels of sweet corn on the hook.