Beachcasting for Carp

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i dont support this method. a number of reasons

1 should not be done where there are birds present,as likely to tangle on tackle

2 it look unsightly.(it is used in france when chucking out well over 100 metres)

3 a number of fisheries ban it anyway.

4 it is debateable whether it actually works better than haveing the line as low as possible, and really should only be used when fishing with a bubble float or useing a surface bait like bread.

Guest Brumagem Phil
to be honest i dont support this method. a number of reasons

1 should not be done where there are birds present,as likely to tangle on tackle

2 it look unsightly.(it is used in france when chucking out well over 100 metres)

3 a number of fisheries ban it anyway.

4 it is debateable whether it actually works better than haveing the line as low as possible, and really should only be used when fishing with a bubble float or useing a surface bait like bread.

1........birds are far more likely to take a freelined bait. They see the drop link on a beachcaster rig and leave it alone 90% of the time. Never yet had a bird crash into the washing line part of the rig.

2.......You what???? ROFL!!

3.......I don't see this a reason as to why YOU don't support it.

4.......beachcasting has been proven time and time again to be better than bubble floats, controller floats or simple freelining. The only surface method which I guess would give beachcasting a run for its money is the gardner suspender method (don't you dare say a word chris!!! :rolleyes: )

I'm all for fair debate on the issue, but apart from your item 1 (which could be fairly argued both ways I suppose), I think your objections are non starters.

Anderoo, I don't think thats very fair! A float fisherman will generally be fishing much closer in than a beachcaster. Also, a lead and float causes no more of a splash than a method feeder.

True, but it's still a disturbance in their line of vision. It's also more visible than using, e.g., a method feeder as the line comes over the surface and there's a big, bright float in the water. Like I say, I've used it, but these days it's too overcomplicated and noisy for me. If someone was using it next to me while I was trying to fish quietly, I'd be a little peeved and may have to move away. Remember that a lot of people go fishing for a bit of peace and quiet!

There's also the argument that it takes little skill - much less than, say, freelining. If I had a choice between catching a 30lber on the beachcaster or a 15lber stalked from the margins on a freelined bait, I'd go for the 15 every time. Just my opinion :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Brumagem Phil

I agree with you in many ways anderoo, but all I've really seen in this thread is peoples personal prejudices rather than good solid reasons why beachcasting is bad.

Surface fishing in general is inherently not peaceful........you have to constantly keep feeding the fish to get em up, then you have the swirls and splashes as the fish spook themselves off taking the food. Theres ooohs and ahhhs of missed takes from the anglers and the repeated casts as the bait drifts out of your swim. Its a very ACTIVE way to fish.

I too regularly fish just to get away from the humdrum of life and enjoy the solitude, but I do that by picking a place or peg that affords me that seclusion.

I agree with you in many ways anderoo, but all I've really seen in this thread is peoples personal prejudices rather than good solid reasons why beachcasting is bad.

Surface fishing in general is inherently not peaceful........you have to constantly keep feeding the fish to get em up, then you have the swirls and splashes as the fish spook themselves off taking the food. Theres ooohs and ahhhs of missed takes from the anglers and the repeated casts as the bait drifts out of your swim. Its a very ACTIVE way to fish.

I too regularly fish just to get away from the humdrum of life and enjoy the solitude, but I do that by picking a place or peg that affords me that seclusion.

Hi Phil

You're spot on with your first comment - but I'd counter that all I've seen is people's personal prejudices rather than good solid reasons why beachcasting is good! Not that this invalidates their opinion, of course.

I disagree with your second point though. While I agree that it's an active way to fish, I find that surface fishing is a very quiet method. But then I generally freeline around the margins rather than use a controller out in open water. I also tend to fish for 1 carp at a time rather then trying to get a group of fish competing for bait.

I suspect this all comes down to fishing different waters where different tactics are successful - no-one's right or wrong, but fishing appropriately for the water they're on at the time :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Brumagem Phil

Not sure I fully understand your first point........beachcasting if done properly is safe for the fish, and its been proven to catch plenty, therefore its a legal and valid way to fish just as using a method feeder or float fishing are. Those are the only reasons you need to define a method as good surely?

Not sure I fully understand your first point........beachcasting if done properly is safe for the fish, and its been proven to catch plenty, therefore its a legal and valid way to fish just as using a method feeder or float fishing are. Those are the only reasons you need to define a method as good surely?

Hmm, not sure about that. Dragging a net across a lake is effective and safe for the fish, but I don't think it would be defined as a good method! An obvious overexaggeration, but you see my point. I think an element of 'sporting' comes into it somewhere. Some people would say a downstream fly is unsporting, and others would frown upon a bolt rig. It's all down to the individual of course.

I'm not trying to get into an argument, so I hope you don't think I'm on a wind-up! Like I say, I've used it and it is very effective. I'm just trying to answer the question in the original post as to why some places feel the need to ban it.

There's probably something in the argument that it's sometimes banned because it's too good! I.e. the angler has an unsporting advantage.

Guest Brumagem Phil

We are having a discussion which is good and healthy, no problems with that.

Dragging a net across a lake isnt a recognised angling method so I can't even consider that to be a valid comparison I'm afraid....nice try though! :rolleyes:

This thread and the lack of solid credible objections to the technique convinces me even more that your last comment is spot on, it does get banned because of how good it is IMO.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry I asked.......lol

Not really,.....thanks for all your comments....I seem to have opened a can of worms here. Seems quite a grey area. It just seems strange to me that you never see any articles on beachcasting in any of the fishing magazines....of which I buy plenty.

Well I'm off to Northey Pits this weekend, owned and run by Elliot Symak.....anyone heard of this guy? He's been a Carp man all his life and has wrote a book, Mywater. I will make a point of asking Elliot his take on it.

Regards Eddie