Needles area trip report 26 april

richi

Had intended to launch at Sowley but my sat nav couldn't find it and sick of dodging Donkeys in the New Forest I decided to launch at the usual Keyhaven.By the time I'd rigged up ready for launch it was 5am,still dark but one hour later than planned.

IMGP0752.jpg

made my way to the inlet with the help of the chartplotter and by 0520 I was rounding Hurst Point and entering the Solent to be greeted with a lovely sunrise,I love this time of day

IMGP0753.jpg

the destination in the distance,was making good progress averaging almost 7mph with the tide on my side

IMGP0754.jpg

Alum Bay early morning

IMGP0755.jpg

after an hours paddle I was almost at the destination and because the tide was helping me it felt like I'd only paddled a short distance

IMGP0756.jpg

anchored up first in about 40 ft of water and as soon as I'd lowered my rigs the sea bed the fish were biting

IMGP0757.jpg

yea,you guessed it! doggies and pout!

IMGP0758.jpg

after a while of this I moved a further half mile offshore to 62ft of water and anchored up(I've seen Charters fishing near here for Cod in the winter and thought it was worth a go)

IMGP0761.jpg

by this time there were a few charters turning up but they all seemed to head further offshore(one of the gents on one of them did remark "theres a guy in a f#c£ing Kayak!")

The fishing was much the same for a while with doggies

IMGP0760.jpg

and Pout and I was thinking "7 miles to get covered in doggie puke and pout sh1t!"

IMGP0762.jpg

Soon after had a big bite on the rod with a two hook flapper baited with party squid.Picked up the rod-----yes it was on!

the way it was taking line off me I was sure I'd hooked either a Bass or a Smoothound.

A fight ensued and I was determined not to lose my probable best fish of the day.

After a few minutes that seemed like ages I got the fish to the surface and was quite surprised to see a Small Eyed Ray(explains the good fight though)

IMGP0763.jpg

after unhooking photoing and admiring the ray it was great to see it gracefully swim away

fished on for half an hour more then decided to have a break at Scratchells bay for lunch.

IMGP0766.jpg

The surf has made the beach quite steep in places along here and the spot that I chose to land would need a seal launch.Had dinner, chilled out and rigged the sail ready for the return journey.

IMGP0768.jpg

Refreshed and ready I seal launched with no problems and hit 7mph on entry even with one foot in the water.

hit a bit of turbulent water threading the Needles

IMGP0774.jpg

and as usual at the Trap

IMGP0777.jpg

but hardly had to paddle a stroke on the return leg,I just sat back and gave a correcting stroke every now and again.

It took longer coming back,but who cares

almost home

IMGP0778.jpg

14 miles and a species that was a big surprise---well happy

May pop out again tonight

edit----did pop out at night------4 miles for a few pout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph