Landing nets for pike.

Peter Waller

£29.00, or less, buys the new Masterline pike net! Its certainly a much better deal than the Harris Angling jobby. This new net is well thought out. The handle is quickly removable from the frame for weighing fish. The handle length is quickly adjustable. The handle can be reversed so it crosses the frame for a reasonably compact net for the wandering lure angler. Okay, so the net could have been a tighter weave to repel hook points more readily but I have yet to have a problem. Carp style nets just don't suit piking, especially those ones with a smaller mesh in the bottom than in the sides. This net is near perfect for the boat angler, also pretty much so for the mobile piker. Its good to see a purpose made pike net on the market again. And at less than £30.00 there is now no excuse for would-be-pikers to be poorly equiped!!

Peter,

Even though it is sometimes a struggle l have used my Leeda Predator net for years. It has survived the most horrendous flows thrown at it (due to the fact l mostly fish rivers) and with solid construction (solid metal round rim) l can't fault it. Shame you don't really see them in the shops no more as if l was to damage this one l don't how l would replace it (£30 aswell)

For mobile Piking and Salmon I use a Mclean Net. Much bigger mesh which is great for trebles even barbless like I use, also better in a good flow. It sits nicely across my back until I need it. It has a telescopic handle and a 30lb scale built into the handle, so the fish is weighed in the net. If I ever do get a river +30 then tough !

Cheers