Beginner in Africa

Duplicate

I have a beginners question regarding Beachcasting equipment, but from a slightly different angle, I am going to Ghana to work for 3 years, so want to take the kit out there.

I imagine that the surf will be strong, and if i am lucky enough to hook anything it will have sharp teeth.

I plan to get some 30lb line and 60lb shock leader to over engineer the line, what are the differences/ reasons for various coloured lines?

I thought that lures might be preferable to baited rigs? Any opinions.

Biggest question is what sort of rod / reel.

1. Are there any decent telescopic beach rods (from personal experience)

2. Any toughts on a combination of a Leeda Ikon Surf 7000 - FS Reel FS Reel and Leeda 2XL Surf Rod Fixed Spool - Beach 12 0 - 4-6oz : at about £45

or this combo from Marsh Tackle Powermaster Carbon12ft Beachcaster

Powermaster PB70 Beach Reel at £65

or am i being too cheap?

or should i get a multiplier reel.

any opinions gratefully received.

cheers D

Duplicate:

Thanks, but that is an issue as well, is decent tackle available, and is it cheaper, (if its imported from the states or japan this may not be the case)

anybody have any answers?

cheers

Ghana is something of a world leader in endemic corruption -

http://www.publicintegrity.org/ga/country....gh&act=notebook

Even if you were to be able to buy, say, a foreign reel there, it might very well be missing some gears...

Take ALL you need, and don't rely on ordering by mail from the West when you are there - postal services can be, er, 'interesting' to say the very least in many African, Asian and South American countries...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I wouldnt place my hopes on being able to get the Tackle you need in Africa.

I would go for a SL30SH and one of the Travel Beachcasters being marketed by Fox or Fladen couple this with 30lb line and a few wire traces etc. and you should have some fun. You will be able to get your terminal tackle locally however, as there are agents for Mustad etc. out there in Accra or Tema.

Ghana is becoming quite a spot for Marlin s=fishing take a look at this link:

www.fishreports.net/fishing/messages/93/180.html

or

www.ghanablues.com

[ 21. September 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Never fish there, but I have read reports of huge snapper from the shore, I would take decent gear with a good multiplier as you are going to need one hell of a drag to stop them. I try and talk to members of something like the big game clubs, there is a UK one something like BSF :confused: or BCC Another source might be people fishing Gambia. They have good sharks, stingray, snapper, tarpon and more some of which will be available from the shore.

I would be very very surprised if you are able to get any tackle out there.

Alot depends on whereabouts in Ghana. If in Accra, there is not much of any size caught from the beach as most of it is targetted by the subsistence guys. If you are keen however, then a light weight bass outfit should do, 11ft, 3oz and a fixed spool. If you are going east or west then gradually scale up as there are some bigger fish about. I would suggest moving up to 12' and a decent multiplier holding at least 300m of 30lb. Bait or lures is your choice, but you need to be pretty fit to continually spin with this sort of gear. An option is to spend a month over there and then determine what would be best after speaking to the locals and hitching a ride in one of the fishing boats. (there are a friendly bunch next to The Dutch Hotel in Accra). I visit every 3/4 months so drop me a mail (findotfairwayatmwebdotcodotza) with your details when you arrive and maybe we could catch up. The other alternative is save your money and take a trip to Ada Foah for the marlin and yellowfin / bigeye - awesome stuff. If you are interested try Johan Zietsman on Karma.

Generally I have found Ghana to be safe and friendly, so enjoy and tight lines!

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.