FISHING NORTHERN COSTA BLANCA

mike james

Saw some serious mullet fishing from the beach in Calpe, the guy cast out half a bagette wrapped in trebbles on a wire trace, he got 3 or 4 a cast!! ;-) but like most med fish too small. Ive seen a few people fish from the beach there more traditionally, and seen a few small tuna in a shoal but never seen anything landed. Just look at the fish restaurants most of the fish come from the Atlantic.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

sorry dan but with respect you are wrong about the fish in the local restaurants coming from the atlantic.while there might be a particular species like merluza (hake) which is brought from further afield, our fish comes from the ports of vilajoisa, altea,denia, and castellon. the boats from which work the med. the next time you are here, pop along to the ports to see what is landed, denia is the best, followed by altea. the boats get in about 16.30.Mike, there is good fishing to be had, both coarse, and sea.the coarse fishing is mainly reservoirs, carp, barbel, black bass,(great fun)plus other bits . the sea fishing is very varied,a lot of shore fishing is at night, or from rocks during he day as there are rules about how close you can fish to people swimming for example.one place for a different experience for example,(only for the experienced)is benidorm island. during the day full of tourists, but the locals catch the last ferry out in the evening, fish all night, and return on the first ferry in the morning.you are totally on your own on the island all night, there are no boats till 09.00! as i said, only for the experienced.loads of morays!!try clicking on http://www.fishingholidaysinspain.com they might be able to give you more info about sites, permits etc,best wishes, captain cohones.p.s dan,i was born in exeter and lived in exmouth, until i left to live in spain, 10 years ago, still havent forgotten the easterlies of febuary though!!!!

Well I'll be! I have recently inherited a flat in Calpe and I bow to your more detailed knowledge!! but I can only say what I saw and I did see langoustines, lobsters I think (not Crayfish)hake, that big flat fish the spanish call sole which I think we call something different and something with teeth like razors and eyes like saucers that must have come from the depths! There were med fish, red mullet, bream etc but they werent very big (I'd have put them back!). Have to admit to not having seen the boats come in, nor know where they fish, but the Med is over fished and heading for a crisis like our North sea. I still recon shore fishing from the med is a hit and miss afair, but the Morays sound like fun!

So did you fish out of Exmouth on Mr Bakers boat?! I think hes still at it!

Anyway looks like I need educating in fishing spanish style i'm certainly interested in the Black bass fishing, any favourite spots in the Calpe area? I hope to be out there again in a few weeks.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

hi dan, calpe is a good base for fishing, also has some good fish restaurants around the port!there is a good fishing club based in alfaz del pi. around 15mins from you. jack charlton(the famous) is the president,they go off on trips all over the place. there is an english language newspaper that comes out on fridays, called the weekly post. they had contact details in there the last time i read it.there are blackbass in guadalest and vilajoisa reservoirs, which are nearby. but better spots just a little further away.you need to get licences sorted out, they generally turn a blind eye to holiday makers sea fishing, but dont try to fish any freshwater sites without one as your gear will be conviscated on the spot and you will be fined if the guardia civil rural catch you!!licences are obtained from certain banks, my last one cost about 20 odd euros, for 3 years! not too bad!try typing `benidorm fishing`in on google . i came across a company that did trips, both sea and fresh. i presume they could sort out stuff for you. best wishes .enjoy yourself!!! :D