Fishing For Herring and Flounder

Zzippy

Took the family for a walk along Sandbanks beach on Friday lunchtime then round to evening Hill(Only to see what the fishermen had caught ;D)

Got talking to a shore Fisherman called Mark.He said he has just got into Kayak fishing with a friend.I asked if he was a member of any Kayaking Forum,His answer was yes,Anglers afloat and Kayakfishinguk.Turned out to be coombseyone and his friend is Joe (Bogey).

Anyway arranged to take Mark and Jo out into Poole Harbour and hopefully show them some flounder marks.The pair of them have been out 2 or 3 times just in the harbour,getting used to their New Kayaks.

Friday Evening got talking to Paul(Darnsarf) and mentioned I was going out on Sunday in Poole Harbour.Paul thought it was a good idea if we had a go in his Cabo (Tandem) Kayak,seeing as we would be fishing the Boat comp in it in 2 weeks time.How could I refuse an offer like that ;D

Then Dave(KFF) asked if it was OK if he came along too,The more the merrier :)

Now to the fishing bit...Loads of Flounders,Cod,Herring and bass....Then I got woken by my alarm ::).6.30 am the clock said,time to get up,make the coffee and set off for Evening Hill.

Didn't have to scrape the car,looks like we didn't get the -6 deg forcasted the night before :)

Got to evening Hill Just as the Sun tried poking up over the horizon,it was flat calm and only the Gulls and Oyster catchers disturbing the water.

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

Sorted my gear out and got kitted up,it felt weird not having my Kayak and only my kit with me.

About 30 minutes later Paul and Dave turned up.It was my first sighting of the cabo Kayak,and what a beast it was at nearly 17' long.Dave had left his Necky at home and brought his Scupper Pro.Joe was next to turn up,first time we had met him(Nice to meet you Joe :) ) along with his Cobra Navigator.First time I had seen one of those too ;D.It was like a mini version of the Fish N Dive, but alot narrower.Then Mark arrived with his new Prowler13.

DSC01695.jpg

I helped Paul take the cabo off his roof rack.What a weight it was,no way can 1 person handle it on their own :o.

Its the first time Pauls Cabo has been fished off with 2 People on board,so it was a trial to see if all was OK.I could see alot of thought had gone into the rigging :)

I got to ride at the back and was the navigator for the day ;D(In charge of the Fish finder/GPS) and also I had use of the BOG PIPE SPECIAL ;):).

Paul and I were first in the water,Reached the depth of about 8" and both got in.8" is enough water for a scupper pro But the Cabo grounded on the mud underneath,It might have had something to do with the combined weight of approx 30+ stone in the vessel ;D ;D ;D.

We eventually got into a bit deeper water after Paul volunteered to get out and pull us :P

My first impression of the Cabo was"I think we are going to tip today".Paul also had the same though or near enough.But after a few minutes of paddling around we got used to it,we had to work with each other.Its kind of like riding a motor bike with a passenger.

By this time the other 3 had launched and were on there way out to us.

2 of us managed a nice easy(average speed) 0f about 5.3 mph.We did go faster at a burst.

DSC01696.jpg

After a short paddle to the otherside of the bay we buoyed up in about 10' of water.

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

Fished this area until about 11.00 without so much as a bite between us,decided to move on to the edge of a channel in 18' of water for 30 mins.Nothing except for a couple of crabs.

Now it was time to to move to the Hole at Brownsea Castle and try for Herring.Got told by a local charter skipper that the best time was the first 20 mins of the Ebb.Saw a shoal appear on the fishfinder but couldn't connect with any.I was more amused with watching my lead weight jigging up and down on the fish finder at 42' underneath me ;D.

Now time for another move before the tide picked up too much and made the going hard back to evening hill.

Paul and I managed a nice easy journey back,the others found it a bit harder as there was only 1 of them in each yak.On the way back a few boats(Gin palaces) went past causing some nice wake,that was fun going over in a Tandem.I think about one third of the length of the Cabo cleared the water ;D

DSC01701.jpg

All in all it was a lovely day out.Not too cold,good company and a pleasure to try out the cabo.

My thoughts on the kayak...Loads of room,Top job with Paul kitting it out and after a wobbly few minutes an excellent ride(Stable).As Paul said though"I dont think it would suit A novice(Beginner) and a Person that knows what they are doing" It could be an early bath for both people ;D

So thanks to Paul,Dave Mark and Joe for turning up.Pleasant day but fishless.

We will try again on a spring tide next,something with a bit more movement in the water.

Finally a Picture of the Cabo in action

P1010113.jpg

zzippy2.gif

I love the first two photos Zzip,good luck with the comp mate :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph