fisheries

goin_fishin

Hey, How come it is so expensive for catch and release fishin????i want to try fly fishin and i looked in a old magazine and the cheapest fisherie was about 9 pound.

And i know you can fish rivers but thjats not the same!! :D

Note from Moderator....I am sure that there will be those who will happily assist you with your enquiry however a little diplomacy when advertising other forums and sites would not go amiss.

Good manners cost nothing but can gain plenty!

[ 24 February 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Alan Roe ]

Gaz, £9 is quite a cheap fishery. I was quoted £20 to fish one water where I live.

Someone has to pay for the stocking and feeding of the fish, the upkeep of any provisions on site. i.e. toilets, cabin to keep dry and-or warm, pay the wages of who ever is looking after the fishery.

If you have found one for £9 go and fish it.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Gaz I fish a few places which are not too far from you and the prices for catch & release vary range from £5 to £8 for a full days fishing which I think is fantastic value for money, and by the way the cheapest one has toilets, cafe and an on site tackle cabin.

Fisherman is right about all the costs of associated with stocked fisheries which inevitably push up prices. Another reason is that there is a lot of controversy around catch and release with some fishery owners in the UK believing that trout either suffer high mortality rates after being released or that the fish then become 'uncatchable' on the fly. I personally don't believe that fish up to around 4lbs are vulnerable in this way but I will concede that large single or double figure trout caught in small fisheries during warm weather may be vulnerable. As to becoming 'uncatchable', I think there is enough evidence around to refute this now but I don't think they are so easy to catch as they were as fresh stockies and this may be the problem. Anglers vote with their wallets and fishery owners want to make money so they don't want a large head of 'educated' fish that are difficult to catch. Much better to have a high turnover of stockies that keep a smile on the punters faces - which is why some of them don't want catch and release or if they do - they insist we pay over the top for it.