Favourite lures

Pangolin

I normally buy them from:

Tackle & Guns Glasgow 0141-632-2005..ask for Bruce... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, the Bass Oreno (from Luhr Jensen, if I remember correctly) works very similarly. And, like the Lucky 13, the early ones were made from wood.

Don't want to sound like a heretic here, but I've found modern plastics work just as well as older wooden versions (I have both) insofar as Lucky 13s and Bass Orenos are concerned...

But NOT on Creek Chub Pikies, where the original wooden ones from the 70s and earlier had a much better action.

Fenboy

Interesting .... the Oreno has to be one of my least favourite lures! As you can see from the back-to-back pic, its profile is very different from that of the all-time-classic Lucky 13,

_____________ Posted Image

and I find that the Oreno has a very poor action compared with either wooden or plastic Lucky 13s.

DG

[ 03. May 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

Does anyone remember the name ABU gave to that doggie-faced plug, with the adjustable diving- lip? I used to have them in all sizes and colours.

Abu Hi-Lo

_________ Posted Image

Available here and here

DG

[ 02. May 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Oreno you picture is a little 'un. The one that's the same size at the Lucky 13 (ie with three trebles) has the same side profile. The major difference is that the scooped front is cut out upright rather than horizontal (looking at the plug head-on). It's not as good as Lucky 13 most days, in my experience, but there are days when it beats it hands down. No pattern to it, though... as usual, it's just those days when the pike want it and nothing else.

Incidentally, I find that Firetiger pattern Lucky 13 is by far the best.

Fenboy

quote:

Originally posted by fenboy:

The one that's the same size at the Lucky 13 (i.e. with three trebles) has the same side profile.

The major difference is that the scooped front is cut out upright rather than horizontal (looking at the plug head-on).

fenboy ..........

like this you mean ?! ....

________ Posted Image

Yeah? :confused:

DG :rolleyes:

[ 07. May 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

ABU made some cracking spoons but I never rated there plugs.I like many others brought Hi-Lo's and despite there great construction and finnish (as with all ABU products far higher when they were made in Sweden) never caught a great deal on them.Now the Toby,Atom,Flamingo and Uto spoons thats another story,great fish catchers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I like the jointed version. It's almost idiot proof. Even I catch Pike with it!! What does that tell you??..lol

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...