Bass on fly

Snatcher

Any of you game chaps ever tried it before. Have been told a couple of marks to try up the Mull of Galloway. Floating line and a white/silver type lure. This person also said that once you hook a bass on fly you will never fish for trout again!

Scarey stuff chaps.

Any comment people?

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Not had any Bass on fly yet, but have landed Mullet (Great fight) and Garfish (Mini Marlin!), I now use my old fly rod & reel exclusivly for sea use as it does gunge e'm up a lot.

Don't see why a good 'fry' type lure won't work for the Bass - in fact I plan to take my 'seafly' rod with me next time I go Mullet / Bassing.

Good luck

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Go for it toggle. Was told to try a small white dry fly for the mullet firing in bread to get them going. Also another tip I got from Ian Burrett(I am sure he will not mind if I disclose it!) - is to tie out a dead mackerel where you intend to fish but leave in the swim bladder so it is floating mid water. The mullet will come along and investigate/mouth. Not sure if you are supposed to shred it a bit first - probably! Then put a tiny sliver of mackerel skin onto a bare hook and fly fish away. I will give it a bash this year and post the results - if any!

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I think there are a few people who are targeting bass on the fly. There is a guy in Cornwall who offers guided trips. I have not tried it my self but I have had codling and coalfish from the shore on the fly, nothing big though, but fun all the same between takes on the beachcasters.

Mind you it does strike me that if you are going to bait up as described above then why fly fish for them ? May as well bait fish or spin. If its to do with the fun of light tackle then use a coarse match rod with bait on it. Fly fish with bait on the hook ? Errm....why ? Its not fly fishing....its bait fishing using a fly rod, probably one for the sea forum. The essence of fly fishing is using an artificial.

Flies I have used are crazy charlie variants and also surf candys, my wife ties for me. She got the pattern for the surfcandies out of Flyfishing and Fly tying. The crazies are based upon disection of a fly we purchased. Most successful colour is light green so far.

I am planning to try for Bass this autumn in cornwall. Bought some crab flies ready for this

Intend to target the bass and mullet next week on the annual "lads week up the Mull" - on fly. Will let you know the results if any.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair