Big Bass on the Fly

Starvinmarvin

Colin Brett:

Time will tell if rods do actually help improve my casting.

Tight Bass lines,

Colin

Colin,

my experience is that an expensive rod will add 2 or 3 yards to anyone's casting, but that a good caster will do much, much more with it - i was saying i'm not good enough to make the most of it really.

i have tried rods by redington, cortland, snowbee, sportsfish and Greys and they all do the job for under £150 - IMHO for the average FF, the extra cash is probably better spent on casting lessons.

GB

[ 01. October 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: guernseybass ]

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

I totally agree with casting lessons, had a couple and what an improvement, trouble is when you get out in the surf, it all goes to pot, especially when those little fins start breaking the surface.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I'm in agreement also that casting lessons is money well spent, basically after fishing for very many years....I took casting lessons and after the instructor had got rid of my bad habits..i learned how the rod worked and now I am STANIC and APGAI qualified in Salmon / Trout and other speices / Flydressing.

If you decide to have a go at it take a look at www.gameanglinginstructors.co.uk and you will find all the qualified instructors listed there.

Gwilym Hughes

• 1 month later...