Waders

Ian Gray

As a newbee to the sport :( , would someone be kind enough to advise me, regarding waders.

I understand that performance differs greatly, and to save disappointment, what would you recommend. Budget - as modest as practical, chest or thigh, sock or boot, neoprene or some other material.

Thanks in advance

Jeepster,

Fair point, sorry I was rather asking a lot.

So far I have concentrated on Pitsford, however living as I do in central Northamptonshire, I intend to visit on a regular basis, Eyebrook and Elinor and to a lesser extent, Grafham and Rutland. As for how deep, at this moment in time I am really not sure how deep I need to wade at these venues. I mean, will thigh waders prove to be very limiting? or do I really need chest waders and if so can you recommend a company for a modestly priced, good quality (if such a thing exists) pair of chest waders?

Ian

thigh waders prove extremely limiting, unless you're sure you never need to go more than knee deep, and i'm guessing you probably will. if you get chest ones, you can fold the bib part down if you're not going in deep, or it's hot

i'll leave recommendations of brands to others, mine are rather old, and i can't even remember the brand!

stocking foot are a good way to go, and you don't need to buy special wader boots for them, cheap tennis shoes will do. just make sure you keep your shoes free of stones, otherwise you'll get holes before you know it!

Hi Ian

There is very little difference in price nowadays between chesties and thigh waders, not enough to worry about anyway, so I would certainly suggest chest waders.

These can also come in handy if you ever try float tubing ..... cool.

You just never know when you are going to take a step too far! ...... I know, I've done it in chest waders quite a few times.

Personally, I would choose one of the better quality brands and choose a standard cleated boot style to keep the cost down. I have some Daiwa neoprenes that cost about £49 and some Snowbee Classics that I think retail at £58, both have served me well in the float tube and on our local rivers.

Best wishes

Mike

Probably best to check the rules at the fisheries you intend to visit, some up here do not allow chest waders to be worn, even if you only wade to knee depth! I expect it is to do with safety, other water users, not trampling down the most productive area of the lake bed etc.

I don't do a lot of wading, so the cheap pair of neoprene chest waders, with integral felt soled boots, that I bought have served me well over the last 5 years or so.

I tend to wear my thigh waders more, but only for standing in the margins.

If I was going to do a lot of wading, especially in the warmer months, and perhaps had a win on the lottery, I'd definitely go for a pair of Goretex chest waders.

If you are going for a pair with integral boots, you'll have to choose the right soles, felt or studs.

Are you going to be mainly wading over granite/rocks, gravel or silty mud?

If you are intending to wade over a mixture of bottom types, then sock waders may be a better choice, then you can wear them with footwear appropriate to the venue.

Some venues ban waders as they don't want anglers trampling over salmon redds.

Tight Lines - leon

ps If you ever intend fly fishing for sea bass, then you'll need chest waders!

pps check out ebay

[ 16. August 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I've been using a pair of Orvis breathables for sbout four seasons now. I've had a few leaks but it's nothing a little bit of aqua seal couldn't fix. I use breathables ALL year and during the winter I layer under the waders and I don't feel the cold. Most of my fishing is done in the months of Sept. - April for steelhead.

My advise is to invest in a high quality pair of waders. Cabelas offers a huge selection of waders from manufactures like Simms, Hodgeman, Chota, and thier own line of waders which range from $79.95 to $279.95. Check out their website. http://www.cabelas.com. If you choose to get a pair of stocking foot waders I'll reccomend you get a pair of wading boots. A really good pair is the Cabelas master guide boot. I've had a pair for about six years and they're still going strong. I'm sure these might be the last boots I buy, they are that durable. A quality boot will protect your feet from unseen boulders and other hazards, the soles will also provide traction on slippery stream beds. Also use the gravel guards that are provided with the waders because Like Jeepster said the rocks will wear a hole in the bootie really fast.

On quest outdoors they have a tested section where they test and evaluate different products and the Snowbee waders are mentioned. Follow the link below and give it a look. Oh yeah, chest waders are the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

4-5mm neoprene for the winter but you should look for a lighter type for summer.

I bought a set of canvas thigh waders from Cabelas in the spring for around £20. Great for river fishing.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...