Thanks Mr Doyle!

Dan G

I have had great success lately on a 'drowning daddy'... its an orvis fly (obviously easily replicated) which has a CDC 'twist', which allows it to sit in, rather than on, the film. Had 12 fish the other day on it - they couldn't get enough. Fantastic fly - definitely recommend getting one - a skilled tyer like Mr D would be able to copy I think.

I am fishing down in Shropshire this weekend with my bruv and FF1. Will issue a full report with the killing flies and photos next week. (That's probably put the kiss of death on it!) :D

Hi Folks,

I have been lurking here for a while - decided I could put my tuppence worth in.....

I've had great success all summer with 2 flies - a nymph and a dry. The nymph is more a style of dressing rather than a fixed pattern - it can be tied long, short or 'round the bend' - big hooks, little hooks - they all seem to work. Dressing:- small bunch of feather fibres from quill (the original was melanistic pheasant tail, but have since used duck, goose, pigeon etc) - tie in at bend (or close), with tips forming a small tail - at same point tie in a length of stretched blue pearly tinsel - return silk to eye of hook - wind feather fibres as body - secure at head - wind tinsel as rib (opposite spiral) - secure at head - trim waste - neat whip finish or two. Thats it - very simple slim fly - no thorax - just body and rib. Fish it like a buzzer, or quicker like a PTN - the troot luv it! Black seems to work best, but try different colours.

The dry fly is your own favourite hopper, with a loop of CDC added above the thorax, They will take it on top, awash, or even retrieved and pulled under.

I hope some of you try these - they really do work well.

Bill