Help please.....

col

I have recently joined a new syndicate lake in shropshire it is an old silty estate lake i have done a few sessions but so far only caught tench and bream. I have lots of ideas to try but dont have any experience on this type of water any more tips and hints on what rigs,leads etc to try and get amongst some of the lakes big 30lbers would be appreciated. The lake is around 4 acres in size mostly silty with a few raised gravel bars depth are between 3 and 12 foot one bank is also unaccesable due to the overhanging trees and snags.

Not an expert but if the silt is deep some sort of helicopter rig with the hooklength set 6 to 8 inches above the lead will keep your bait in view.

I would use a popped up or balanced bait to also prevent it sinking.

Maybe some rig foam on the hook so it sinks slowley?

I would of though the fish will feed over the gravel or under them trees.

I am sure some of the more experianced carpers will have some thoughts.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

cheers rudd thats prety much what im using already im on the right track i think just need that little edge to try and fool some of them wary old carp in there.

read something in a magazine about rehydrating your baits with hemp juice. basically you air dry your baits then soak them in the juice of your cooked hemp,this way when they lie on the silty lake bed they cant take on board the smell of the silt because they are already laden with hemp juice.the only downside is that they are very soft so nuisance fish could be a problem

If you want to find the depth of the silt theres a simple way to do it as follows.

1.Tie a lead direct to the end of your main line just the same as you wound tie your marker float onto it.

2.Pervey some cottony type thread, I use the thread from animal feed bags, and tie this to your lead on the swivel.

3.Cast out as normal to the desired area and leave the rod on your rests for a few minutes. (Setting up your other gear for instance).

4.When you retrieve the lead look at the cottony stuff and you will see staining from the silt.

This staining is the depth of the silt in the spot where you cast the lead to, so you can now use a helicopter rig set to that depth, or slightly over and your bait will stay above the silt.

If you want to be sure that the bait stays on the top of the silt, put a big piece of soluble rig foam on the hook, and as it melts it should have the desired effect.

Try it, trust me it works. Hope that helps you.

:):):):)

[ 09. May 2004, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: bushwacker ]

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

thanks for the help lads just got back from my 3rd session on the lake had 3 more tench no carp tho.There was a guy packing up in the swim i had baited when i got there tho so imoved in behind him he had a 14lb and 16 lb commons that mornin off my baited area probably the smallest fish in the lake but im still gutted .

Well done mate.

You cant be doing too much wrong as your getting action from the tench and bream so you know that your presentation is spot on.

If you can find out about what bait the other lads on the lake are catching on, this may help as they could of had quite a lot of this bait put into the lake, therefore they could be quite confident on this bait,and maybe a bit wary of yours.

Good luck, and i hope this information can be of help to you.

Well done, like the other said if you can catch bream and tench your preentation in correct.It might be there are only a few carp in the lake and its the luck of being in the right place at the right time. Although it may be worth looking at other bait choices and speaking to the regulars. Follow Bushwacker excellent methods of blumming and finding the depth of the silt, try different bait and I am shore your catch carp. Top angling. Let us know how you get on.

goodluck

Ive got a bit of a deal on with nashbait so im piling it in ive been told that F1 has caught a few from there in the past im not on that but i have put around 9 kg in ,in the last week. there is only around 50 carp in the lake and hundreds of bloody tench and bream anyway just ordered another 10 kg of bait doin next session sat nite so ill have another go and let you no how i get on.