Pole Help/Advice?

Ricky2912

I am cutting my power top 2 x 2 to the same length and using a purple hydro for one which I will use a Drennan Winder Bung and Drennan Bungee Connector Bead (Large) and Drennan Carp Bungee PTFE Bush (X-Large) Sound about right?

I say this has since I started using my pole which is not very often (Love Barbel too much) I have never set it up correctly and wish to get it right this time for the Carp on my local pond.

The fish average 1 10lb with the biggest 28lb.

For lighter setup I will use white Hydro with a Milo pull Bung and same Connector as above and the same bush?

What do you think anything I need to change, before I buy these?

Thanks in advance.

Ricky

I would suggest buying your bush before you cut the pole tip!! that way you make extra sure you are cutting it to the correct length. Out of personal preferance I do not use hollow elastic as it is too stretchy and you loose control of the fish IMO!! If i was to suggest an elastic for what you are telling me I would suggest using solid untreated latex (i use garbolino) in size 14!! The connector won't need to be too big then either!!

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

I would suggest buying your bush before you cut the pole tip!! that way you make extra sure you are cutting it to the correct length. Out of personal preferance I do not use hollow elastic as it is too stretchy and you loose control of the fish IMO!! If i was to suggest an elastic for what you are telling me I would suggest using solid untreated latex (i use garbolino) in size 14!! The connector won't need to be too big then either!!

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more!!

Thanks mate, appreciate the comment. I think I will stick with the Hydro, I guess it's down to personal preference. I like the idea of the stretch and durability.

Personally i wouldnt be fishing a pole with less than a 20 elastic in a pool where i might expect a few chunks, theres been quite a bit on here recently about people going undergunned or using innapropriate methods or tactics for Pike, I was gonna say i think ,but thats wrong what i mean is i know a lot off that stuff goes on in all forms of angling. This w'end i was at a fishery i go quite often, when the owner came round he was telling me about all the hard work he,d put in & the plans he had for this year on one of the adjoining lakes so when id packed up the next day i thought id have a quick look now im not joking the work he,d done was unbelievable the lake wasnt filled with water but we had a walk round anyway i ended up with 5 banksticks out of a pile of rods & top 3 sections of poles that he got when he drained the lake now im sorry but theres no way they fell in . Not having a go at u pal just making what for me is a very important point .Its straightforward for me i wouldnt sit with a real with 20lb line & use an 8oz bottom to catch small fish so theres not much point using a lighter elastic ? The choice you make what elastic size your gonna use should be based on firstly the size of hook on your rig & secondly the size of fish your targeting or possibly what you might connect to , if your elastics to much or your hooks to small your gonna miss bites but if your fishing for chunks your elastic cant be to much come on man the fish cant see it give yourself & them a fair chance think Barbel :)

Tight lines

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

Personally i wouldnt be fishing a pole with less than a 20 elastic in a pool where i might expect a few chunks, theres been quite a bit on here recently about people going undergunned or using innapropriate methods or tactics for Pike, I was gonna say i think ,but thats wrong what i mean is i know a lot off that stuff goes on in all forms of angling. This w'end i was at a fishery i go quite often, when the owner came round he was telling me about all the hard work he,d put in & the plans he had for this year on one of the adjoining lakes so when id packed up the next day i thought id have a quick look now im not joking the work he,d done was unbelievable the lake wasnt filled with water but we had a walk round anyway i ended up with 5 banksticks out of a pile of rods & top 3 sections of poles that he got when he drained the lake now im sorry but theres no way they fell in . Not having a go at u pal just making what for me is a very important point .Its straightforward for me i wouldnt sit with a real with 20lb line & use an 8oz bottom to catch small fish so theres not much point using a lighter elastic ? The choice you make what elastic size your gonna use should be based on firstly the size of hook on your rig & secondly the size of fish your targeting or possibly what you might connect to , if your elastics to much or your hooks to small your gonna miss bites but if your fishing for chunks your elastic cant be to much come on man the fish cant see it give yourself & them a fair chance think Barbel :)

Tight lines

I think a 20 elastic might be a bit OTT on a pond that the fish average 1-10lb Ken, even if there is one 28 in there.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Tight lines

Reading that again Ken, how will fishing a heavier elastic, bigger hooks and presumably heavier line to match stop anglers losing rods and bits of pole to fish?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Tight lines

I use a 20 elastic in my margin pole so i can control the fish and stop the borrowing in to the undergrowth and marginal reeds. However as lutra said if you have been told fish go up to 28lbs and because of that you are sitting there with a pole set up for that fish then surely you might as well have a rod pod and 3 rods set up to catch it?!?! I just think you should balance your tackle out appropriately!! if you have a decent hydro you can land anything on that!! in open water i would be happy to land anything on a solid 14's!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....