Winter carp fishing

Neal

Unless it’s two feet thick with ice, very rarely are you wasting your time, whatever the conditions.

Through the winter months I regularly fish through snow, frost, and ice, and I’ve taken some of my best fish during these sessions, so it’s well worth persevering.

The carp’s metabolism does slow down during winter months, so they do eat less, but that just means you have to be a little more sly with your approach.

I generally scale down the time of my winter sessions, perhaps just doing a night rather than two, or doing day sessions. The fishing can often turn on and off at regular times during winter months, so it helps to try and build up a picture of the water you are fishing so that you can fish accordingly and maximise your chances.

I also try to cover more water, usually leaving one rod over a baited patch, then casting the other perhaps every hour with a single glugged hook bait.

As daft as it sounds, I look forward to winter sessions, as I find a nice carp banked when there’s an inch of snow on the ground is really rewarding :)

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Yeah I do quite a bit of winter fishing you tend to find that your chossen venue will be quiter.

Do bear in mind that location does tend to be far more critical in winter than summer.But i have found that once you find the fish they do tend not to move around as much in the winter.

Make sure you are comfortable,make sure you can keep warm,plenty of hot drinks and food,and a good sleeping bag.

Always try and pick a venue with a good head of fish,somewhere you are going to have a chance of a regular bend in the rod.

As one of the other guys has said try fining down your presentation,smaller hooks,smaller baitand lighter hooklinks if conditions allow.

Cheers bots! Will have to dig out me winter woolies, although we are having milder winters now. All through September October and Novemeber should be mild before (and if) and real cold weather comes. :)