big weedy lake

nathan

i fished a big weedy lake once (pyketts farm) ledgering banana and crayfish boilies but the problem was the lake was covered in weed (another angler said there was about 2ft of weed all around the lake) i didn't catch anything, anyway i was fishing today and was thinking about that lake and then i thought about asking for some advice on anglers net so can anyone shed some light on this

Nathan,

There will always be clearer areas if not areas devoid of weed - often caused by feeding carp. You need to find such areas and fish on them. Additionally the margins may well be clear (or clearer) so bait presentation should be a little more straightforward. Get out a plumbing rod or initially cast out a lead (i.e. nothing but a lead) and feel the bottom, in every swim. May take you a few days if it's really bad but generally a few hours work will give you a good idea. Once you have found the clearer areas make yourself a detailed map so you can find them again and then fish them. You will find clear spots probably change and new ones may well be a sign of fish activity in the area and obviously well worth fishing.

If that fails you can try pre-baiting some weedy areas - say with hemp or other particles - say every other day for a week before fishing them and hopefully smaller fish and carp will clear the spots and you can then fish them. Ideally you want spots easy to reach but yet ones that other anglers wont see, lest they reap the rewards of your hard work.

HTH,

Rob.