Found a guide . . . ?

Sutton Warrior

Following on from my thread, 'Need an Idiots guide'.

I looked in despair at the various offerings from Amazon, some had a 'look inside' option, many don't! If they wont let you at least look at the Index, one has suspicions as to the quality of text offered?

The fact that one is looking at a CS4 guide, seems to assume some sort of knowledge of photoshop? In my case, limited knowledge gained from 'Elements', I have seen threads recommending CS Photoshop to no 'experience photographers'. So where is the 'base guide' . . . yes I know there is a Dummies Guide, I've tried these on other applications, early days of Windows for instance, could not get on with them. I see a need for a book that starts off with basics in chapters ###, moves on to expand on the basics in chapters ###, adding the final touches in the last chapters when one has gained confidence.

Its an ideal world, some appear to go that way . . . ? However I found one that seem to be a possible 'Photoshop CS4 for Nature Photographers by Tim Grey'. Uninspiring tile, but as the majority of my pics are landscape, seascape sunrise or sunset type, it captured my attention. The index seems right and I liked the foreword, make an interesting read anyway, as it covers the basics of photography on the subject as well, supplied by guest authors. I suspect it will need a 'follow up' book choice on my part, hopefully I will be understanding a bit more by then, on both CS4 and landscape photography?

My idea is, the book will not be to intense, covering both, Photoshop and Landscape basics, breaking the ice for me on both subjects? :sun:

SW

I really dont think you will find a book that covers what you need, or rather as you want it written.

Best thing is to use google for example on "Levels" then read on that..too complicated for you then hit browsers back button and read from another tut..

The reason I say this here and in the other topic is because most books and online tuts will require knowledge of masks, opacity, fill, blend modes, possibly paths and channels and multiple selection techniques/knowledge, even actions and droplets, dodging and burning could be mentioned. So rather than reading a book of techniques/methods, concentrate on learning individual commands, then slowly piece together as your knowledge grows.

Cliff, you'll get overwhelmed if you try any other way...unless you can find this magic book and I've seen many people requesting that same book before. Concentrate on what you want to do, not what the software can.

You have my advice in the other topic, that still applies but if your looking to go beyond that andlearn more then google and learn about the commands under "Image/Adjustments" from within Photoshop.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I really dont think you will find a book that covers what you need, or rather as you want it written.

Best thing is to use google for example on "Levels" then read on that..too complicated for you then hit browsers back button and read from another tut..

The reason I say this here and in the other topic is because most books and online tuts will require knowledge of masks, opacity, fill, blend modes, possibly paths and channels and multiple selection techniques/knowledge, even actions and droplets, dodging and burning could be mentioned. So rather than reading a book of techniques/methods, concentrate on learning individual commands, then slowly piece together as your knowledge grows.

Cliff, you'll get overwhelmed if you try any other way...unless you can find this magic book and I've seen many people requesting that same book before. Concentrate on what you want to do, not what the software can.

You have my advice in the other topic, that still applies but if your looking to go beyond that andlearn more then google and learn about the commands under "Image/Adjustments" from within Photoshop.

Steve...:)

Hear what you say Steve, thanks, it makes sense . . . as I have said, "there are lecturers and there are communicators" . . . very few communicators <_< 'Knowing' and knowing how to pass it on is a skill few have . . . Ever thought of writing a book Steve??? :lol:

SW