Which rod and reel

bsmith

I live in Lowestoft and have taken up beach fishing after years of course fishing. I want to buy a good beachcaster one that would enable me cast as far as possible on the steep sandy beaches around here.

I have been told that I need a Greys Greyflex-s Or Greys Grx-s and a Daiwa 7HT reel.

As the the Greyflex-s is considerably more money can someone tell the what the difference is considering where I live.

As to the reel it feels great but, there's always a but, it does not have a line layer on it which means having to guide the line as you reel in which is something I really am not comfortable with. Do you really need to do away with the line layer in order to cast long distances. If not what other reel would be the best considering my entire budget is £250

Cheers Bob

:rolleyes:

I live in Lowestoft and have taken up beach fishing after years of course fishing. I want to buy a good beachcaster one that would enable me cast as far as possible on the steep sandy beaches around here.

I have been told that I need a Greys Greyflex-s Or Greys Grx-s and a Daiwa 7HT reel.

As the the Greyflex-s is considerably more money can someone tell the what the difference is considering where I live.

As to the reel it feels great but, there's always a but, it does not have a line layer on it which means having to guide the line as you reel in which is something I really am not comfortable with. Do you really need to do away with the line layer in order to cast long distances. If not what other reel would be the best considering my entire budget is £250

Cheers Bob

:rolleyes:

You're best buying a 15ft rod and a nice fixed spool reel. Look at Grauvell's rods, and for a fixed spool either a grauvell, or shimano. Budget for a 300m spool of 50lb berkeley whiplash pro (£19 at spotty dog) and some 80lb leader.

This style of rod will let you use overhead casts, assuming the steep shingle restricts pendulum and other swinging styles. The braid will increase casting distance massively due to it's very thin diameter, and the fast retrieve of the fixed spool makes fihsing much easier.

Try the "Grauvell Teknos Surf 4500X Due" from Veals at £165, a surfmaster reel at £50 and the braid at £20...leaves you some petrol cash for a fishing trip!

Would you not consider it a bit prudent to use mono first until you get used to what ever rod and reel chosen, less costly if an birds nest happens.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

You're best buying a 15ft rod and a nice fixed spool reel. Look at Grauvell's rods, and for a fixed spool either a grauvell, or shimano. Budget for a 300m spool of 50lb berkeley whiplash pro (£19 at spotty dog) and some 80lb leader.

This style of rod will let you use overhead casts, assuming the steep shingle restricts pendulum and other swinging styles. The braid will increase casting distance massively due to it's very thin diameter, and the fast retrieve of the fixed spool makes fihsing much easier.

Try the "Grauvell Teknos Surf 4500X Due" from Veals at £165, a surfmaster reel at £50 and the braid at £20...leaves you some petrol cash for a fishing trip!

Thanks for the reply guys, asking around it is increasing likely that a fixed spool is the route I going to have to go, it would seem that if you cast out over 100 yards around here then you need to keep the tackle up on retrieve as you are likely to get snagged if you don't.

The braid worries me as when using a marker rod whilst carping, tangles at the reel are not uncommon

Tangles with braid should not be happening unless

- you have overfilled the spool

- you are getting a really horrible amount of line twist

- you are using too fine a diameter of braid for your rod & reel

I have used braid almost exclusively for a few years now on both multipliers and fixed spool gear for still fishing (like carping) and lure fishing. The few problems have all come down to something I was doing wrong. That said, I never use any below 10lb and most often use 30lb to 80lb b/s.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President