Barham B Suffolk

Catch'em Quick

Hi All.

Just signed up as its the first time I've actually managed to write about fishing without getting the rods out.....Perhaps I've just been doing too much of late, fishing that is.

Having read through some of the past posts I thought I'd ask if anyone had any news, ideas, history on Barham B in Suffolk as I've recently joined and want to get a bit of a heads up.

Mind you if you listen to the "locals". You know. The ones that know everything about the place but never manage to catch, I might have been better holding onto my cash. But as I'm an optimistic carper, could we anything else, there’s always something good to come from any lake or situation, even if I manage to tweak my rigs and bait a tad.

Given that I've spent the last three weeks getting the topographical information from a major marker campaign there seems to be quite a few Carpy areas that might be worth a bash. However given the size of the water and the lack of fish movement perhaps I should hedge my bet by asking.

As a new member perhaps I shouldn’t say, but can any fellow members please try and sort the rubbish out. As I say. I’ve been doing my research over there and I can honestly say that I’ve taken no less than 5 bin liners full with me each day. I cant stand rubbish, but no sooner than I pick the bl**dy stuff up someone leaves even more.!!!!!

Needless to say the wife says I’m mad, especially as I do sod all in doors, the bin men think we’re feeding the two thousand, and it wont be long before someone starts to suspect that I’m a secret drinker with all the bottles and cans I keep tossing away.

Keep Brittan Tidy……yeh right. I’ll just be happy for the lake to be crap free.! Hehehe.

Any input advice would be greatly appreciated

C’em Quick

Welcome to AN :)

I don't know that area, but I'd say that if you've put the hours in with the marker gear you're probably already in a better position than most who currently fish there. I'd be tempted to ignore all advice, trust my instincts and just start trying things. As the water warms, opportunities for fish spotting might start happening, which will help a great deal.

Well done on the litter collection, every proper angler's major bugbear...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

3DoorsDown has fished it a few times. I'll ask him to take a look at this thread. He's had a bit of success by walking away from the car park, where everyone fishes, and finding some gravel patches.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks for the comms. Anderoo/Elton.

If you do manage to talk to 3DoorsDown I'd appreciate any advise. Personally the car park end wasn't my first choice anyhow, not for any other reason than, as you say, most seem to want to stay local to the car park. Personally. I quite like (if 3doorsdown reads this) either one of the points on the river side.

As far as the walking, getting to the swim, I'm not that fussed how far it/they are as I bought a cheat some time ago....the power porter has changed my life.! And helped the wife as she started to develop a stoop...! hehehe

Thanks Guys.

C'em Q.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi C'Em Q

Elton did mention this to me, but, forgot until I was fishing the river around the pit a few weeks ago.

As Anderoo says, you've put the hard work in ( more than I have ) and I'd agree with you're intentions. I found myself down there last summer, after heading to Alderson Lake for Tench, without checking that a match was on !

In order to get away from the masses, I headed on down the river side, ending up at what I think must be peg 34 or 35, a small spit of land through an arch of trees. In the summer, a large "cabbage" growth comes up on the end of the spit (lots of perch here), however, the best bit is looking back up the lake, there is a wide flat topped, fairly shallow bar, running between lily pads at each end ( this runs perpendicular to the bank, just to the right of peg 33 or 34), not only is this bar broad enough to fish on top of, it shelves down nicely each side to a serious depth.

Fishing it for the first time, in an early morning 3 hour stint, I had 2 x tench to 5.5 lb and an 18lb common carp.

Hope this helps, and I'd be keen to learn from your experiences as I might go a mission at Barham this year.

Nic