Back Leads

BigAlanD

Hi everyone - got a really stupid question for one or all of you to answer!

I've been carp fishing for a while but never used Back Leads - so my question is how do you use them?

Do you cast out them out already attached just after the rig or place them on the line after the cast has been made?

Cheers for any advice!

Tight Lines and enjoy the weather! :confused:

Flying ones are inline, but the ones I mostly use are attached after you've cast out.

Being tight, I tend not to buy shop ones - just get a sliding plastic ring-thing with a swivel attached and cut through the ring with a sharp knife. Attach to a cheapy lead and away you go :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

back leads matey are used for when you want your line to lie flat on the bottom :D

meaning there is no line cutting through the water that is able to spook the fish, should they be swimming round in the upper/middle layers of the water you are fishing. in deed you can also use them for when margin fishing when your looking to hide all relevant termianl tackle from them wary little critters :D

an excellent tool in the specimen hunters armoury

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

I've always found that their main benefit is to keep the line beneath swans and boats. I'm not at all convinced of any other benefits, unless the water is virtually weed free.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Been using the Gardner "captive" back leads, i.e. you can attach a cord to them & tie or clip to your pod/rest. Only problem so far is sometimes it's good to adjust the length of the cord so that the lead just touches bottom and you don't have yards of cord flapping around.

Think the Fox ones have a winder with a clip built in to cater for this situation, any ideas for a DIY version?

Jim.

It all depends on what the bottom is like. If it is flat then using backleads will pin the line to the bottom, also, when using three or more rods a captured angry carp will not knit one, pearl one with your other lines :D . If the bottom of the lake is all over the place with holes, bumps, bars, ditches etc then using a backlead is pointless as the line will cut through the water from where the back lead is sitting. Make sure that you use a backlead that is heavier than your swinger/hanger, otherwise when setting your bobbin it will just pull the back lead up from the bottom :mad: . I often use them, but do wonder sometimes if they have cost me fish :confused: . About £3.50 for three they are expensive, especially if you are like me and think you have attached it to the line only to find it falling to the bottom of the lake with no line through it :mad: . I use the Korda intelligent ones, havent had one lost yet :D . Have a good lead around of the lake you are fishing, then decide if you need to backlead. Hope this helps.

i use them occasianilly for carp,depends as neal and others have said,more than anything(i know its not a barbel forum!)i use them for barbel, a drilled bullet lead held in place with float stops about 2-3 feet from the lead coffin leads are good too for this or even more simple if your unsure about the bottom but want your mainline pinned use a few swan shot pinched at foot or 6inch intervals behind ya lead,only works with bolt/self-hooking rigs tho.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!