New to Carp Fishing

randal

Hi All

Just joined the forum. After many years of pole, waggler fishing i've decided i'm going to take up carp fishing. I have a budget of £2000 till the wife founds out so, will this be enough to get me kitted out with everything i will need and i mean everything.

Randal welcome to carp fishing! £2000 grand should be plenty mate, but you always end up spending more in the long run, I mean years down the line. Rods, £300-400 for three. Reels, bout the same, alarms vary from £20 to £600 for three. Luggage £200 - £300, bivvy £150 -£200, bedchair £60 - £150. Sleeping bag £40 - £80. Then pods, landing nets, and all the other gear. If you were a tackle tart like Gaffer then £2000 would be no where near enough :D But that sort of money should get you a very decent set up to start. As it happens I have three Fox Warrior rods 12ft 3LB test curve and three fox Ultrons X3 for sale :D Also a rod bag that takes three made up rods plus two unmade and an unhooking mat! What you need is an unbias view from a carp tackle dealer. Good luck mate :P

Thanks for that Neal.

For now i am thinking of getting a 2 rod set up along with the bivvy, luggage etc then just adding to this as i go along just like i have with my match gear.

randal - good to start with rods/reels that match up with the size fish you expect. Usually good to size for the average and if you happen to hook a monster, just take your time.

If you later change to places that need heavier gear you can get it but a 10lb fish on rod/reel designed to toss out 6oz rigs and land 40lb fish would make it sorta boring. OTOH, a 40 on gear that does well with a 10 would be exciting.

Given the state of modern rod making, I wouldn't see an issue with any normal fish overloading the rod so the main thing is to size them to handle the casting weight you intend to use and the distances you expect to be casting.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You are doing the right thing Randal - buy the basic set up, and add to it as and when you need to.

But buy good, quality gear that others have experienced and can vouch for! Some cheep(er) items may appear to be a bargain, but you get what you pay for! I have learned the hard way, and only buy the best of everything these days - I'm become quite a tart in fact! :D

I intend on buying quality tackle but will my budget stretch far enough? The wife has now said i can go to £2500 after i shown her the prices of tackle from different manufacturers at bivvyup .com. I'm a bit perplexed at what to go for rod & reel wise as i am with luggage, bivvy chairs etc because of the range thats out there.

As for rods what am i looking for as tc goes and the action of the rod?

I am hoping to get all that i need as well as quality.

I don't know mate??? It really depends on what you are going for?

I have had probs with bivvyup.com recently, and although I have ordered loads from them in the past, i would longer receommend them.

Try Lesleys of Luton:

http://www.leslies-fishing.co.uk/acatalog/

Their service is second to noe, and carry large stocks.

Also try Climax Tackle:

http://www.climaxtackle.co.uk/tackle/index2.htm

They carry a large stock also.

Where are you from? If you are not too far from Luton, I would recommend going there and having a look around. Get to have a play with some gear and feel for what you want.

Rods-wise, start with 2.75lb tc rods, they will cover most situations, you can get some beautiful slim blanks these days.

Reels - Shimano or Daiwa. If you want a baitrunner, then it has to be Shimano. Okuma do some reasonably priced alternatives! And the quality is'nt bad!

Bivvy-wise, have a look at the Dillo, or the JRC STi, or go for something in the lower price bracket, if you are not going to do too many overnighters.

Hi malc

I'm in manchester mate. I wasn't going to buy from bivvyup i was just using the site to show the missus how much this lot is going to cost. I think the overnighters will be mainly in the summer months when we are both off work and can get away for a few days.

I don't think i will be visiting waters where i will need to be chucking great distances, not yet anyway till i'm well into it.