Noisy Miner Bird

Clifftop

Hi Fred, just been playing around with Hazels D40X, found you can choose the auto focus 'AF-area mode', see pages 24 and 75 in the manual. There are 3 options, normally the smallest, fixed area would be right (for me) but 'dynamic focus' would be the choice for moving targets, certainly give a better chance??. In fact I have found all sorts of extra control in the menu by double pressing the 'info' button.

I will be having a play, always said the D40X was a good'n? I'm beginning to believe it. Hazel and I went for a walk around the marina yesterday, the quality of the pictures that have come from it compared with my D80, I suspect its no more than the differences in the lenses we use. In fact, its got me thinking, do a session with me using the D40X and my lenses, put Hazels 18-70 on the D80 and see what she gets from it. Then I will do a session with both cameras using only the 18-70 kit lens??

Sorry off subject, I hope the 'dynamic focus' helps.

SW

Fred

Whatever you do don't get discouraged. Taking good photos of birds in flight is not easy. I was trying to shoot this gannet the last time I came back from France on the car ferry. It was blowing a gale, the ferry was rolling all over the place and the gannet was flying about all over the sky. I took 5 shots and gave up when it started to rain.

gannet1.jpg

gannet2.jpg

gannet3.jpg

gannet4.jpg

gannet5.jpg

In fact taking good photos of anything that is flying is not that easy.

voltigecrop.jpg

I am not really happy with any of those images.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hi Fred, just been playing around with Hazels D40X, found you can choose the auto focus 'AF-area mode', see pages 24 and 75 in the manual. There are 3 options, normally the smallest, fixed area would be right (for me) but 'dynamic focus' would be the choice for moving targets, certainly give a better chance??. In fact I have found all sorts of extra control in the menu by double pressing the 'info' button.

I will be having a play, always said the D40X was a good'n? I'm beginning to believe it. Hazel and I went for a walk around the marina yesterday, the quality of the pictures that have come from it compared with my D80, I suspect its no more than the differences in the lenses we use. In fact, its got me thinking, do a session with me using the D40X and my lenses, put Hazels 18-70 on the D80 and see what she gets from it. Then I will do a session with both cameras using only the 18-70 kit lens??

Sorry off subject, I hope the 'dynamic focus' helps.

SW

Thanks mate, just had a look at what settings i had and i was on closest subject and AF-A, i will give the other setting a try.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/