fox reel seats

big al

fox reel seats are made 18mm wide now a big pit reel ie the daiwa 5000 which i wish to buy are 20mm wide so they don't fit aaargh.spoke to guys at leslies who told fox this and were told big pit reels are a fad ,"we will build the rods you sell em".

they tell me they sell 50 pit reels to every fox rod .

so now i don't know what to do i love my fox ethos rods but need the big pit reels for a france trip.i will probably file down the reel to fit ,but this means no warentee ,anyone got any good ideas ,i don,t want to sell the rods.cheers big al

[ 22. February 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: big al ]

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Get the butts rebuilt with a decent size reel seat to prevent the same problem in the future.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

dunk cheers i looked at the shimanos as i love mine ,but the guys in the shop say they won't add much to my casting distance ,ok they will take the line but the big spools seem to cast better ,and i need to hit about 110 yrds or so for france.

the idea about the reel seat would work but at £60 per rod it makes it expensive.will probably go with fileing down the reel.cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Hi Al

I wouldn't file down the reels. I think you may regret it. You could have 20mm reel seats put on, shouldn't be a problem. Also if you spool up with power pro on the smaller reels you will be suprised at what extra casting distance you can get. Might be your first best option. Good Luck

[ 26. February 2003, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Paul f ]

I REALLY wouldn't file down the reels. The feet are designed to take the weight and stresses of a big reel.

Why not spool up with braid? It may take a bit of getting used to, but as paul says,with a different line you'll be surprised at the distance gained. I'm also a bit surprised you are struggling to get 110 yds with a standard reel. What do you use now?

A good braid you could try is Berkely fireline.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

not meaning to sound big headed but i can chuck 110 yards with a set of 8010's and century R1's which have about 9 eyes and are far from designed for casting. the 10000xte's should be more than efficient for 110 yards and have got to be the best made reel on the market. and dont feel the need to fish at that distance, if everyone else is then try being different and fish a bit closer in.

Hello

I agree with catcherofcarps, I have 8000's and I can cast upto 100 yds. I have a pair of Aerlex for Pike fishing and they dont add nothing to my casting but their great for cranking big baits. I wouldnt file your reel down thats out of the question. Big Pit reels are a fad, too much line your not gonna use, and no baitrunner (controversial) casting is al to do with balance. get the right rod and reel and you can chuck a lead 100+ easy. Big Pit reels are here to catch the angler not the fish.